Flex issues and front suspension probs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flex issues and front suspension probs

aphsu92XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Davis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I recently went to an RTI contest and was amazed to find out that my explorer can't handle much at all when it comes to flex. I've never really tested the flex until then, and when I did, there were all these noises/scraping sounds that just didn't sound good at all. And on top of that, it didn't flex well at all!! I have all stock parts except for the 5.5 superlift kit and tires. What else can I do/modify in order to increase the flex, and why do all of these sounds come out when I flex it in 4/4lo? Thanks alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two questions.....what was your final score on the ramp and I see you have ProComp tire, how do you like them.

If I'm guessing the sounds you heard might just be the springs "creaping" a bit more from some extra bit of flex. But I could be wrong

:)

hmm..

my list:

1) disconnect the sway bars.
2) get extended radius arms.
3) make sure the shocks aren't limiting your droop/compression.
4) get softer springs than the superlift springs.

score

I got a 475, and I've been testing it alot lately to see what it is, and I might be just the springs when they flex, but I've had other guys look and they aren't sure either. But it sounds alot like that. The ProComp Muds are working out great, still haven't gotten stuck, they have great traction.

Well here's my setup. I run Stupidlift 5.5" coils on 4" drop down brackets with their radius arms, a dropped pitman but no Superrunner, and Ranger leaf packs in the rear, SOA with modified shock mounts. I have no swaybars front or rear. I have 33x10.5's. And I ramp about 800 after airing down.

Good luck with the 475, ouch that hurts....

Cheers

Dale

How do I

How do I go about getting/installing the extended radius arms? Also, I've been looking into different coil springs for the front that will help, but I don't know where to begin.

Radius arms are available from Stupidlift, James Duff, Rancho, and I think others. I'm not sure which are the best, though I know that Superlift has had some warranty and breakage problems with theirs. Coil springs are available from National Sping etc. You should do a search for coils on the site. Gloria had some custom ones made that are much softer. SOfter springs will sag faster though!

It is alot of trial and error to get these trucks to flex well. If you search one of my threads of front end setup you will find some good info. Good Luck

Dale

my 2 cents....

ok...i don't know about the rancho ones...but im getting the james duff extended radius arms. they're longer than the superlift ones, and they are cheaper too. i think that the superlift arms are like close to $500, and the james duff ones are only $272.

Re: my 2 cents....

Originally posted by riffman
they're longer than the superlift ones, and they are cheaper too.

I'd like to see a picture of those. I doubt that they are longer than the Superlift arms but you never know. My Superlift arms(rear brackets) are within 1/4" to 1/2" of touching the transmission crossmember.

475 seems really bad for the 5.5" lift. What angle was the ramp? Mine ramped 734 on a 20 degree ramp a little over a year ago. I have since bought new Skyjacker coils and hope that they will show at least some improvement in compression over the Superlift coils. I will let everyone know the results as soon as they are installed and I have a chance to test them.

[Edited by Paul Gagnon on 08-15-2000 at 01:20 PM]

when i called James duff...he said that they believe that thier's is longer than superlifts....now, i took that for a fact....(as i usually do.....hey...did you know gullable is in the dictionary twice?!?!).....hahaha....heres a pic anyway...

lglinkR.jpg

It is hard to tell with that picture but from this one the James Duff look shorter. Plus I don't
like the way they seem to make the springs bow out towards the front.
Dshockmt.jpg

This is the only picture that I have of the Superlift arms. Sorry it is so big.
Dead Link Removed

Paul they are about two inches longer. :D Brett has them on his and we checked them out compared to mine. They bolt in using the transfer case crossmember. They accually give you a newer beefier one of those for it. I am guessing about two inches. They are not as beefy where the ears are where they bolt onto the TTB though.

hmmmmm.....

so would it be worth the extra money to get the superlift ones instead of the james duff ones?

I am not sure... you could beef them up by adding more steel to the top of them and be just as beefy then. They are nice arms though.

Originally posted by rpenner54
Paul they are about two inches longer. :D Brett has them on his and we checked them out compared to mine. They bolt in using the transfer case crossmember. They accually give you a newer beefier one of those for it. I am guessing about two inches.

Thanks Ryan, it is hard to tell from a picture. That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I was actually thinking of extending my extended arms past the cross member but I don't know if that is too far or not.

They are not as beefy where the ears are where they bolt onto the TTB though.

That is a scary thought since that is exactly where the Superlift arms are weak .

Back