• Register Today It's free!

Flex pipe

95Aero

Reaction score
City, State
Bay City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT Aerostar
I just bought a 95 XLT extended 4.0 2wd 148k. It's in great shape. It spent most of its life so far in Florida, so it's not a typical Michigan rust bucket. My question is that the previous owner had cut out the flex pipe and welded in a solid pipe. I know that's a bad idea for a fwd vehicle, but is a flex pipe really needed on a rwd? Is there that much stress put on the exhaust that the exhaust manifold or other parts might break?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Are you referring to the fit all flexible exhaust pipe that is sold in the auto parts stores? I've never used it, but it seems like it has a reputation of being cheap, and prone to breaking compared to solid exhaust pipe. Which brand are you looking to get? Some brands like Walker are a little cheaper than AP, and they don't last too long.

Thanks for the welcome! I believe this is the oe flex pipe that was removed and replaced with a solid pipe.

Attachments

• flex pipe.jpg
    flex pipe.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 471

Too much money!

I just bought a 95 XLT extended 4.0 2wd 148k. It's in great shape. It spent most of its life so far in Florida, so it's not a typical Michigan rust bucket. My question is that the previous owner had cut out the flex pipe and welded in a solid pipe. I know that's a bad idea for a fwd vehicle, but is a flex pipe really needed on a rwd? Is there that much stress put on the exhaust that the exhaust manifold or other parts might break?
Thanks
That flex pipe does break over time (about 2.5 - 3years on mine). I'd say it helps to conserve other parts of the system which might crack with the stress from the engine moving around & shaking. Would not be an expensive part, were it not for the rip off fitting charge.:(

Back