• Register Today It's free!

Flex Plate snapping on Flywheel

DJ_XTZ1977

Reaction score
City, State
GREEN BAY, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EXPLORER XLT
Has anybody had a flex plate snap on them? Ever since I took in my Ford for a tranny overhual at the dealer my tranny hasn't acted right. It work great for about 8 or so months then I had started having problems with the starter engaging right so I took off the starter inspected the teeth on it and on the flywheel thru the inspection hole and didn't notice anything wrong. I had the starter tested thinking the shaft was not kicking out all the way, well that was fine also. So I put everything back together and started it up. No probs. great, I thought. It was not till the next day when I tried to go home from work that my truck would not start, the starter would not engage the flywheel. We took the truck to my friend's house and dropped the tranny, to our suprise, the flywheel came out in 2 pieces! One still attached to the crank, the other attached to the torque converter. I bought a new Plate, installed it and everything was great, until now...6 months later I can sense the problem has arose again. I can hear that grinding noise when I start the truck and I can sense something is rubbing when the drive shaft is spinning, probably my flywheel, warped and off balance. Does anybody know if there was a recall on this problem or anything? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the pump

on the transmission is not centered properly.

COULD BE, I AM TAKING THE THING DOWN TONIGHT TO START THE REBUILD AND FIGURE OUT WHAT I NEED

I just thought I'd let ya know...
a flywheel is used on a manual transmission
a flexplate is used on automatics..

Had one crack on a Ranger, so it's not uncommon to happen.

im getting ready to do the same repair on my 96...only mine cracked in a circle around the crank....when i go to start it..it spins the plate and TC.

my question is...if its a flexplate then why do they crack all the time....they should just flex!!!...sorry just a little humor

That is what mine did the first time, it just snapped right off the crank in a circular fashion like yours did.

Flexplate repair cost

So, what's it gonna cost me to get flexplate replaced?? We are getting 22" of snow today and not a good time to drop a tranny. In the northeast..

I had a flexplate replaced, it was causing a clunking sound when you gassed the accelerator in reverse.

the center of it is split, giving a star fish type look. the piece that held it in place basically blew apart. causing the flexplate to knock against the starter n stuff.....well this is what ford told me. they tried to charge me to replace my starter but it still worked, so i told em not to. :)

This job cost around 800 bucks Canadian, but that is mostly because the hourly rate for labour for anywhere in my city is *insane*

Back