Flickering/Interminttent Check System Charge Idicator Light Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flickering/Interminttent Check System Charge Idicator Light Issues

MSM0075

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 EB
2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4

I've been having Flickering/Interminttent Check System Charge Idicator Light Issues. It happend last year on and off and now it seems to be much more constant now. Last year it only happend when I gave it some gas to accelerate. the indicator only FLASHES, so fast you can bearly even make out what it is saying.

I put a multimeter to battery terminals while engine warm and running and I'm only getting ~11.66 volts with no accesories running, When I do have all accesorries running it drops to about 11.50.

What else can I test for? I've heard stories about people just running out and buying new alternator, belt, and batery with no luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It needs alternator. There are no serviceable parts for alternator. Just double ck fuses.

you sound very sure its the alternator. there is nothing else I can check for? im extreamly tight on cash. i don'twant to assume that its the alternator to find out a week later that its something else. truck has 90k miles and battery was replaced under two years ago.

Replaced Alternator with an NEW 'Advance' brand. Ran for 20 mintues, Volts started at 11.44 with all accesories off and decresed down to 10.20 before turning off the engine...Don't know what else to check for....

What fuses am I Looking for? all the fuses in the BJB seem to be fine..

I did some more digging around on AllData, I'm going to run some more tests tomorow. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Just wanted to check in with you guys for the record.

Ran all tests, Turned out to be the computer.

Back