Flip Rear Shock Mounts ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flip Rear Shock Mounts ?

Paul Sabin

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Know there are several suspension experts out here so let me throw out this topic...

Is it possible to flip over the rear shock mounts/u-bolt plate so that the lower portion of the rear shock mount is not 1-2" below the rear axle ??

Understand that it may require swapping the left for right side once flipped (to keep "truer" alignment), longer u-bolts, and shorter shocks (or limit compression), but from my view, it looks feasible.

Anyone done it? Recommendations ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paul, the main thing to keep in mind when doing shock mods is to keep shock travel greater than the suspension travel. So the shock is not the "limit" up or down. If you raise the lower mount and don't raise the upper you'll be using up a couple of inches of shock travel. When the axle moves up the shock will reach it's max compression two inches sooner. There is a good overview of shocks in the October "Off-Road" magazine.

Thanks Parker. To me its worth $100 of new(shorter) shocks to raise the rear ground clearance 2+ inches. Still need to know if anyone has done it, or think that it is feasible...

Paul,
I am finally going to add my JD lift this Saturday and Sunday. I will try the flip with the longer JD u-bolts and that. After I do it, I will let you know how it went.
Take care and happy exploring!

------------------
Todd Metzger
tmetz@umr.edu
'Off-Road and More!'
93 "Ford X 4" XLT

Todd,
Before you start the lift install check out your U bolts. The ones that came with my JD 2.5" lift were the wrong ones.. (wrong size). Turns out my stock ones fit just fine even with the extra leaf.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Todd - Thanks for the offer to be the guinea pig...I've been toying with the idea of swapping out my original rear leafs (with Rancho add-a-leaf) for an all new Heckthorn 3" rear leaf kit and if I do it, I plan to flip the shock mounts to see if it works. Appreciate any info you can provide after your weekend project.

My U bolts were the wrong size as well. Damn it, JD, get your act together!

Back