• Register Today It's free!

Flipdown Monitor

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I bought a flip down monitor that I plan to install. I have a DVD player/monitor as a head unit and I will run RCA cables from that up to the flipdown. Has anyone got any tips for me on the install. I have a 2003 xlt no sun roof or overhead console just the dome light. I guess I'll have to take the light off and mount the flipdown there, using the wiring from the light, or should I leave the light there. The monitor does have 2 dome lights in it but they won't point the light to your lap for reading a map or whatever. Will the lights still fade on and off? The flip down is only a 10'' screen so it isn't that heavy but should I make a backing out of thin plywood or whats the best way to mount the monitor. Anyone who has installed there own flipdown any tips or pointers would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey man i got a 12" monitor i put in my 92, and ill lay it flat out, those are a ***** to put in, the dome lights in the monitor suck ass, they wont light up nothing but whats right under them, so i mean unless you wanna open it up and get some better lighting somehow idk, but i put a piece of plywood between the roof and the top lining, just pop the lining down, and slide it in, then screw the mounts for the monitor into the wood, then cut the small hole, and run the power wires to the dome light, i mounted mine RIGHT behind the light, and i use the lights in the monitor to light up the backseat, but then run the A/V wires close to the doors for easy access, i also spliced the dome light (door function) to the lights in the monitor so they turn on when i open the doors, and best of luck man, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! make sure you mount it straight and everything, try not to use a sharpie like my dumbass when you mount it, incase you ever take it down lol.

PM me or reply if you need anymore help

hey man i got a 12" monitor i put in my 92, and ill lay it flat out, those are a ***** to put in, the dome lights in the monitor suck ass, they wont light up nothing but whats right under them, so i mean unless you wanna open it up and get some better lighting somehow idk, but i put a piece of plywood between the roof and the top lining, just pop the lining down, and slide it in, then screw the mounts for the monitor into the wood, then cut the small hole, and run the power wires to the dome light, i mounted mine RIGHT behind the light, and i use the lights in the monitor to light up the backseat, but then run the A/V wires close to the doors for easy access, i also spliced the dome light (door function) to the lights in the monitor so they turn on when i open the doors, and best of luck man, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! make sure you mount it straight and everything, try not to use a sharpie like my dumbass when you mount it, incase you ever take it down lol.

PM me or reply if you need anymore help

Thank you for the tips

yea np man, its a pain in the ass but its awesome to have when yr done lol

hold the monitor up to where when it is flipped down, it is right behind the front seats. cut a hole in the headliner and you should see a brace up there. screw the wood to the brace and the monitor to the wood. i put these in for a living, and this is how i do it every time.

theres no brace man in the explorers its just carpet, then roof lol

yeah man thats what i did, it works great, just dont jimmy rig it, take your time, make sure the connections are the right ones, you'll have (to the light) ground, constant (for map lights), and then switched (for the door)

Thanks for the tips...............

p1050217.jpg

Hi, guys ,new in the forum. Can somebody tell me which wires -colors and where is the location of the wire for my flip down dvd on Mountaineer 2006. I need ACC+ , 12+ and Door wires. Thanks

73152_737113791219_32804317_40840255_2683042_n.jpg

I installed a 20" in mine. DVD player is in my head unit, but I also installed an RCA plate in the back of the center console so that people behind me can plug in their own dvd player, iPod video, or playstation if they so choose.

I was surprised that the 20" TView monitor was only 230 bucks on Amazon. It makes my rear view mirror useless when the TV is down, so I put a bypass switch on my reverse/back up camera to switch on on the head unit while I am driving. It solves the not being able to see behind me issue when the monitor is down.

Also,

When I was looking for monitors, I was perusing through the internet on my mac mini that I have connected to my LCD tv at home which is 46". So I figured 20" isn't that big of a TV. That is why I ordered that size. When I got the box in the mail, I then realized that in the context of a 20" being in an Explorer, it is ridiculously HUGE. I didn't want to return it for a smaller one because then I would have to pay for shipping and wait bla bla bla. My friends and I were already ready to start doing the install that weekend, so we reinforced the ceiling with a metal plate across the roof and mounted it to that through the ceiling carpet. It is on there super solid now and looks gorgeous. I wish it had an HDMI input rather than just RCA. oh well, first world problems.

Yea 20" sounds small, but when your a foot away from it, thats huge. I had an 11.5" in my 92 and thought it was perfect. I would love todo a nice 15 in my 2000, maybe a 20 for when we go camping and whatnot.

Judo, how did you go about "reinforcing" it? I ghetto'ed my 92's with some wood above the headliner, but it made the headliner sag a bit.

I'm planning on adding one to my '06. I'm just going to get a 9" wide screen though. Don't want it to hang down and block the rear view mirror.

6324201.box.GIF

Theyre really easy to instal, judging that theres something to mount it to :p:

How have you guys mounted yours? I want to get some ideas for next Spring when id like to install another one.

I'd like to know which wire color goes to which as well if anyone can confirm this that would be great, i am planning on doing one also.
Thanks

here is a pic of an '04 that came with DVD, of course its long gone (truck/DVD). . .pic is 2-3 years old.

well my membership needs to be renewed . . .can't post a pic now,
But here is a link with the headliner removed out a JY '04 EB.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251719

Back