Flood Victims from New Orleans | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Flood Victims from New Orleans

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
What a mess....

My wife and I have taken in over 20 people right now from New Orleans. These people have lost everything. They own nothing. Our church also has taken in over 100 people with the same. Allot of children that are so innocent and have no idea what is going on is effected by this. It just tugs at our hearts. I know there are some bad people in New Orleans for sure. Shooting at recusers and stuff. But there are also allot of Christian families involved also.

To all that I have not gotten to in the past few days, please forgive me. "Draft" and others. Cooking, cleaning, picking up donations, making calls for jobs for them. Most say they are not going back to New Orleans, but who knows. It will take months for them to get on there feet again.

So when you listen to what is going on, don't think about the bad people shooting and looting, but think about all of the good people and the little children. They are the ones that need us.

God Bless.....

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
I agree with you 100%, but we need to be thinkin about EVERY good person out there that needs help. Not just the christian families, this coming from a christian himself.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Good for you Ron, keep up the good work, is said that one reaps what one sows, you have had your share of shit in the past year, kudos to you dude

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
BBQ_HotDogs said:
My wife and I have taken in over 20 people right now from New Orleans.
Much respect and props to you. :thumbsup: :usa: :thumbsup:

When I saw Houston step up like they did, I thought instead of Texas being the Lone Star State, it should now be called the Big Heart State.

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
God bless you, Ron. That is awesome.

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
I guess I forgot to mention some of the other good things I have witnessed.

2 guys came to the Church on Thursday and saw what was going on. Didn't know who they were or anything, but they asked to see the Pastor. So we introduced them to him and to find out, they are home builders in the area and wanted to help also. So they looked over the situation of the Church and are building 6 new showers for the flood victims, "Free" of charge. As soon as the showers are completed, our guests will be moving there. Also another Church in the area brought a huge truck of clothes and FOOD.... Much needed food at that. I was wondering how we were going to feed all the people we were taking in, but now I know...

The hearts of Texans goes way beyond what I have described here briefly. There are 1000's doing the same thing. Many go to the Astrodome and volunteer there, others do there on thing. Heard of a guy who made over 500 hotdogs, yea I thought that was funny, but he made them and took them to the dome to feed the refugees and was turned away. I have no idea what he did with that many hotdogs, but bless his heart for trying. So many people have volunteered at the Astrodome, they are now turning people down who want to help.

On another note, some, a few people that is, are worried about crime and violence now that so many people are coming to Houston without money or jobs. Especially after hearing and seeing them loot and shoot.I just hope those people are still in New Orleans. I heard that Houston is filled to capacity now. So now Dallas and Corpus Christi are taking victims in. It's a night mare to say the least.

This has been described as the biggest catastrophe in US history.....

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
You are a true hero. Its wonderful to see people pull together in other's time of need. And as Jason said, its just awesome.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I salute your servanthood BBQ
The world can use a few more like you.

draft

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mounty Sport
Like I said Ronnie, I think what you're doing is a miracle, and shows nothing but you practically lending your arms to these strangers, and to me, that's one of the best things in the world, is to see others just helping others because they *want* to.

You're a man of much respect. Props to you bro.

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
There's a shelter in a neighboring counting that I donated about 5 bags full of clothes too and asked did they need help sorting things. They said yes, so I'm going back up there later on to volunteer.

And much respect to you Ronnie. We need more like you.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Good job! What you're doing really takes a lot of compassion, empathy, and courage.

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
get out and do something...

I just came back from loading 5 trucks full of water, generators, bleach, food, and clothes on its way to Mississippi. I was one of 12 drivers who volunteered to make the 18 hour drive down- a call went out from our church friday for folks and the response was outstanding. Businesses donated trucks, we had more drivers than needed(we drew straws- short straws stayed home. My luck), more stuff than would fit in the original two trucks. But anyway, I am heartened by the response from so many people. Driving around today making preparations I saw three groups who didnt seem affiliated with any organization selling cookies, lemonade and ribbons to give the proceeds to the Red Cross. This is the America :usa: that we all know and love- not the 8 idiots shooting at contractors trying to fix a bridge :fire: (5 were killed by police-first reports). Citizens helping citizens.
I would encourage anyone who can to make a donation- big, small, money, time, stuff it doesnt matter, all that matters is that it gets done.

We have family of our neighbors who arrived day before yesterday- 6 cars full. My son was out playing with the kids, but the parents and adults seem shell shocked. They drove from NO. From the sounds of the plans Ive heard on the news people are going to be spread around the country so no one state has to deal with the large influx of people. Various states have volunteered their emergency shelters. Drops of good news in storm of bad.

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
What can we do to help?

I suggest posting the Church's name so that tax deductable contributins can be made by EF members.

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
unclemeat said:
What can we do to help?

I suggest posting the Church's name so that tax deductable contributins can be made by EF members.

Look on the sticky Rick posted about Hurricane relief- I posted a link to a Washington Post compilation of places to donate, all of which would get you a tax deduction.
Heres the link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/31/AR2005083101758.html

My local Church is Gaithersburg Church of the Nazarene, and the national relief fund does a pretty good job of getting the money to where it needs to go with little overhead.

I would like to see everyone help out to displace some of the need for government help - this is getting way out of hand already.