Flooded the engine off-road. Still runs fine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flooded the engine off-road. Still runs fine?

ajezior

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer AWD V8 5.0L
So I have been modifying my Explorer for the past couple month, sold my 99 Dodge Intrepid for a really good price and have been updating everything on my explorer. I will be posting the story to introduce my explorer sometime soon.

Well after lifting my explorer with TT, Warrior Shackles, Rancho RS5000 all around, and add-a-leaf I decided to take her out to the ORV park with some friends. Well everything was going great, I was smashing on the good size water/mud pits and taking on some steep terrain. Well as I was getting ready to take off from the ORV park I had my buddy get out and record the last big puddle I was going to drive through(I'll share the video). Well I gave it a big attempt and I made some mistakes about my approach and ended up sucking water into the intake.....

She came to a rest at the end of the puddle, stalled, and I tried to start her up but no luck, would turn but no start. So I let her sit and all the water drain out. Well after two minutes I started her right up with slight hesitation but after a second started running fine. Drove home, and have been driving a bit today and still have no signs of anything bad.

I plan on changing out all the differential fluids, but wanted a little insight about the situation. I have been looking at other threads about people hydro-locking the explorer fast when it happens, and I am very happy I did not do that. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd change out the oil and filter.

If it's running fine I'd just do as ^he said. Change all your oil; engine, trans, and diff.

Cheap insurance incase you got water in there.

hydrolocked. i know the feeling. swap fluids then build ya some snorkles.

If it was cranking but would start, you may have gotten something electrical wet. Still would change the fluilds though.

Thanks for the reply everyone, been so busy the last few days with this nice weather!

Well I changed out my fluids. But I am pretty sure I am getting a lower engine knock. I just replace my exhaust manifold gaskets and the noise is similar but still nothing to compare to what I am hearing now. But the knock seems to come and go?(Sometime I start it and hear it, other times I may not. Maybe my bad hearing.)

Anyways, below is the video of me doing harm to my explorer after lifting it and getting all excited to take it out. Front still needs to have the TT done a little bit more just in case you notice in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd6eAAeYhGg

Anyone know how long I can run a slight knock? Where can I get a rebuild kit for my 302 including rockers and rods? What kind of performance stuff can I add? Unsure if this is a subject for another thread?

Thanks for the reply everyone, been so busy the last few days with this nice weather!

Well I changed out my fluids. But I am pretty sure I am getting a lower engine knock. I just replace my exhaust manifold gaskets and the noise is similar but still nothing to compare to what I am hearing now. But the knock seems to come and go?(Sometime I start it and hear it, other times I may not. Maybe my bad hearing.)

Anyways, below is the video of me doing harm to my explorer after lifting it and getting all excited to take it out. Front still needs to have the TT done a little bit more just in case you notice in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd6eAAeYhGg

Anyone know how long I can run a slight knock? Where can I get a rebuild kit for my 302 including rockers and rods? What kind of performance stuff can I add? Unsure if this is a subject for another thread?

I'd just get a JY short block and build it on the side that way when yours goes you can just swap it in instead of having to do a complete tear down to rebuild.

Actually I am picking up a spare 302 motor soon. My friend got a 302 block for free and has no need for it as a Honda guy so I will be doing a tear down and rebuild on that. Is there a thread anywhere specifying how to do a rebuild on the 302? Maybe what kind of parts I can get and compare to other parts?

The 302 block I am getting is very dirty and has weather wear. How do I clean it up etc...? This will be my first rebuild project.

Back