• Register Today It's free!

Floor heat?

kleake

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
There is a known issue with the actuators on these, and no, i have not swapped mine, but i'm not convinced that is the issue. I get defrost or front vent heat, but when I switch to floor, it switches, but there is little/no air flowing out. Nothing coming out the dash, nothing in the defrost, and I can only feel warmth at the floor vents, but no real airflow. This is a Limited with dual zone and it's the same on both sides. Is this an actuator that just isn't moving far enough or? If the actuator failed, I would think there would not be any movement at all and it would be stuck in one position only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
There are several actuators, not just one. The following diagram was taken from the Component View thread in the stickies section.

Peter

1610488891950.png

kleake

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
There are several actuators, not just one. The following diagram was taken from the Component View thread in the stickies section.

Peter
Thank you. Based on this, C236 actuator (the hard to get to one) may not be fully moving. Does this sound normal that it would go to defrost and front vents, but not the floor? Fan is still running on high, but very little (if any) air is coming out at the floor. I thought most just stopped working completely? This one has been this way since we bought the vehicle a few years ago.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I can't say for sure if it is that one but it has been mentioned before. Here are a some other threads.

Peter

kleake

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I can't say for sure if it is that one but it has been mentioned before. Here are a some other threads.

Peter
Thank you, and yes it looks like the mode actuator is the one that is only partially working. Odd that most fail in one position or the other, but mine will do defrost or dash vents, just doesn't go to the floor.

Any way to confirm if all actuators are the same? I've seen it mentioned they are, but couldn't confirm that before I order the part.

1sicbronconut

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1968 Ford Bronco
Mode actuators aren't to bad to replace on some you can get by just pulling the cluster but on some you'll need to pull out the steering column also. I would buy a genuine Ford actuator I've installed some non Ford actuators and haven't had the best luck with them.

Whey Cooler

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I haven't had good floor heat since I bought my car new...I just assumed it was how they operate. My Taurus was the same way.

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
I thought I had bad floor heat on my 16 XLT. Then I found auto mode.

kleake

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I thought I had bad floor heat on my 16 XLT. Then I found auto mode.
Sooooo,,,,,, maybe what I am experiencing is normal? I mean,,,, there might be enough air flow to move a feather, but not much else down there. And yes, auto mode is pretty sad compared to others I have owned. Pretty much gotta crank it up manually, then auto to maintain. Is that the way most others are?

Dave K 58

Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I haven't had good floor heat since I bought my car new...I just assumed it was how they operate. My Taurus was the same way.
Same with my 2013. The last Ford I owned that had a good HVAC system was my 1988 F250.

I will say that my 2017 F150 is much better than anything else I've had post-1988. Some of the automatic stuff is really annoying, though. "Just because I turn the temp knob to max does NOT mean I want the fan on high and all the air directed to the windshield, dammit!"

Whey Cooler

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Same with my 2013. The last Ford I owned that had a good HVAC system was my 1988 F250.

I will say that my 2017 F150 is much better than anything else I've had post-1988. Some of the automatic stuff is really annoying, though. "Just because I turn the temp knob to max does NOT mean I want the fan on high and all the air directed to the windshield, dammit!"
Right?! I just want "max" for the recirculation... I don't need jet turbine fan speed!

I will say my upper vents, defrost and rear aux HVAC all crank...I just think the floor portion is less than optimal. That being said, once I get it warm I switch it to the floor and it maintains whatever temp nicely...

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I've never had an issue with the HVAC in the vehicles I've had. The only adjustment I ever make is when the front defrost is required due to interior fogging or ice on the windshield. I couldn't even tell you now how my vents are set up. All I know is that everything great. I don't think the rear system is even turned ON.

Peter

kleake

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Right?! I just want "max" for the recirculation... I don't need jet turbine fan speed!

I will say my upper vents, defrost and rear aux HVAC all crank...I just think the floor portion is less than optimal. That being said, once I get it warm I switch it to the floor and it maintains whatever temp nicely...
This is interesting. Because yes, if I don't turn the rear on, it takes forever for it to warm things up using the front floor heat only. Turn the rear on to get things warmed up, and then the front doesn't have any issue. It sounds like what I am experiencing is normal.