Floor High Beam Switch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Floor High Beam Switch

yeah i know..but i am currently 17..what i was saying was that everybody whos 25 now..and are like not knowing wut it is..its interesting..kuz i guess it depends on what culture your area is like..people round here drive lots of older muscle cars and trucks and stuff..and its pretty common to have a floor dimmer..i wasnt saying anything about my skill at this age and driving with it..i was just commenting on it like everybody else
sorry for the misunderstanding?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my LMC cataloge, it lists a floor switch for less than $10. Its just a manner of finding out where to wire. I would guess that any dimmer switch would work, say from Autozone.

My problem is that I cannot figure how to get the high beams on without the MFS being in the high position all of the time.

This is what I was thinkin:

Instead of even messing around with the MFS, why couldn't you just locate the high beam relay under the hood, and run a wire from the correct post of the relay (#86, I believe) to the switch. Then the MFS functions like stock, and the floor switch will also work by overiding the MFS off state.

Get it? Like having two switches in a room in a house. :thumbsup:

i remeber the floor dimmer....im 18 and i drove an 84' Ram Charger(a little over the summer) and it had the floor high beam kick on...

This is what I was thinkin:

Instead of even messing around with the MFS, why couldn't you just locate the high beam relay under the hood, and run a wire from the correct post of the relay (#86, I believe) to the switch. Then the MFS functions like stock, and the floor switch will also work by overiding the MFS off state.

Get it? Like having two switches in a room in a house. :thumbsup:
I like that. Sounds like a weekend project

Should there be a write up? Is anyone else even interested in doing this?

I'd like to see it...

Dr_Starcraft:
If you drive arround with your KC's on that much you should wire them so that they will turn off automatically with your high beams. When the toggle is off they are off, but when the toggle is on, they are only on when your high beams are on. You can run a wire from the high beam fuse to a relay, then from the relay to the switch. That way all you have to do is turn off the brights and everything shuts down.

Dr_Starcraft:
If you drive arround with your KC's on that much you should wire them so that they will turn off automatically with your high beams. When the toggle is off they are off, but when the toggle is on, they are only on when your high beams are on. You can run a wire from the high beam fuse to a relay, then from the relay to the switch. That way all you have to do is turn off the brights and everything shuts down.

That's kinda how I have mine wired. I have a DPDT switch under my dash that toggles where the power comes from. I can throw it one way so that the control line for the relay comes off the ignition (can use the lights on high or low beam), or the other way so the relay control line comes from the hi-beam circuit. Best of both worlds :thumbsup:

Dr_Starcraft:

I considered this at the time of installation. But I guess I just wanted to turn them on whenever, and not always have to have the high beams on. Even though, 99.99% the KC's are on, so are the high beams now that I have a the fog light mod. So I could technically change it....

Or just add a floor switch! :D

i've thought about that a few times, and i already have a switch down there. right now it does something to stop the moter from starting. it truns over but wont start, but if it's running when i hit it nothing happens. it's from the last owners, so i have no idea. I drove a 72 valiant before this and i loved the switch being down there. let me know how it turns out

writeup writeup wtriteup..i would def be interested in doing this if i got a good look at wut it'd take..

Will do sometime in the next two weeks. Would have done it last weekend but I forgot it was IronBowl weekend. Everything stops here in AL for that one. This weekend is Thanksgiving and Florida/Florida St. Might get to it some time sat.

I'm 19 and my first vehicle was a '66 GMC halfton pickup. 350 beast. And a floor switch of course.

As for a mirror sensor. Screw that. I hate it when cars try to be smarter than me. I'm fully capable of performing the function, let ME make the call...thankyou. :pPP

...Actually, now that I think about this, I would love to figure out how to do this, cause I drive with my off road lights ALL the time, so have to quickly dim the brights, then move my hand to the KC switch and dim them (Not particularly in that order)

The floor switch would make this process much faster. Hmmmm...

---->And yes, I know I shouldn't drive with my KC's, but they make it really easy to see deer.

i just ran a relay and hooked up all my 4 kc's up to my high beams so when i put my brights on boy are they bright..

I may just do the floor switch to operate some aux lights on a brush guard. But first I need to build the brush guard;)

I keep getting distracted with my Gators! Between Football and BBall seasons, its hard to do anything constructive.

My Bday is sat so Im thinking that maybe it will be a chance to work on this a little

I added an on/off/on switch to my aux lights.

With the switch in the "up" position it takes 12V from the highbeam switch so when the high beams are on the aux lights are on.

With the switch in the "down" position it takes 12V from a switched 12V source.

When power is suplied from either side it trips a relay which turns on the lights. I usually only run them with the high beams, but once in a while I use them (aux) with no lights on when I'm using them to light up something that I"m working on (like the well).

~Mark

OK guys, here's ow to rig up anything like this that you want. Get the wiring diagram for your Ex and then go here: Dead Link Removed.

Thanks to that site, I was able to install a keyless entry system with additional functions in my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer WITHOUT a wiring diagram for it. Just the info from there and my digital multimeter.

Have fun! :frospecta :hammer:

Update.

Due to tranny issues, and the fact that I cannot make up my mind on how to build the brush guard, I havent done anything.

Yeah... Ford made those Floor switches on the F-Series and Bronco's all the way through 1991.

My '90 has one, but my '92 Bronco, is on the column.

I wouldn't reccomend one if you go wheelin alot, when the mud, dirt and water get it there, you can get a short.

My old '86 Bronco had a short in it, and I had to disconnect the thing because my headlights would cut out... I've never cared for them. Unless of course you put it in a spot other than factory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'm still waiting on what it turns out like. Didju get a switch yet? I'd prolly prefer a big... almost pedal... rather than just a little round thing.

Back