• Register Today It's free!

Floor High Beam Switch

Gatorblazer

Reaction score
City, State
Moody, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer, 09 Mazda 5
Remember when these were on the floor? Greatest thing ever! I want to install one on the floor of the 93 sport. Any ideas on where to start? I dont want to tackle this one blind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

High beam switch on the floor? Never heard of that.

Remember when these were on the floor? Greatest thing ever! I want to install one on the floor of the 93 sport. Any ideas on where to start? I dont want to tackle this one blind.

Ah the good old days. Old enough to remember that, but not old enough to ever drive a car that had that.

I'm only 25, but Ive had two trucks with this. I hate them on the MFS

I'm 28, we got rid of our older vehicles before I started driving. I guess I drove my grandfathers truck that had the floor high beam. But I never drove it at night.

Yup my uncles 78 GMC had that and I personally dislike it, and it really wouldnt work well with my clutch :)

Out of curiosity what do you think is so great about them?

Had one of these on an ole field bomber Ramcharger. I agree they are sweet.

I had that little feature in my '84 F150, it had a short, so sometimes when you hit the high beam the lights would cut out completly, no fun when you are driving in the country, with lots of curves:eek: . I would have to mash it several times before it would work again, lol.
I could see it being possible, make sure you buy a new switch, tap into the multifunction switch, course I dont know how the bright flasher would work, when you pull the switch forward and it bright flashes, doesnt hold. May have to leave that part alone, if you can.

...Actually, now that I think about this, I would love to figure out how to do this, cause I drive with my off road lights ALL the time, so have to quickly dim the brights, then move my hand to the KC switch and dim them (Not particularly in that order)

The floor switch would make this process much faster. Hmmmm...

---->And yes, I know I shouldn't drive with my KC's, but they make it really easy to see deer.

My point exactly. I usually drive left handed. Right hand is on the coffee or what not. Having it on the floor keeps me from having to shift hand positions (not a huge deal), plus Im used to having it on the floor.

Yup my uncles 78 GMC had that and I personally dislike it, and it really wouldnt work well with my clutch :)

Out of curiosity what do you think is so great about them?

accually they work just fine with a clutch my dads 77 z28 4 speed has a floor bright switch and it works just fine.

Gator if you can find the right info go for it that is awsome that you want to do that.

Even better than those was the sensor hanging from the rearview that automatically turned the high beams on and off when cars approached. What happened to those?

High beam switch

Yes, I remember that our 61 AMC Rambler and 68 Ford Torino wagon had them.

It should be possible. You will need a heavy duty push on/push off switch that is rugged enough to withstand mashing by your foot. A place that carries industrial switches or vintage auto parts should have them, or you could scrounge one from a junk yard. The current rating is not critical, because I believe that the steering column switch controls a high beam relay. I'll have to consult the wiring diagram to see how it works.

Bob

In my LMC cataloge, it lists a floor switch for less than $10. Its just a manner of finding out where to wire. I would guess that any dimmer switch would work, say from Autozone.

My problem is that I cannot figure how to get the high beams on without the MFS being in the high position all of the time.

My 1990 F250 has the floor switch, so they're not THAT old! :D

And no problems with the clutch pedal.:thumbsup:

lol everyones sayin ther age and sayin they dont remember them?!..im 17 and i drive one (84 cj-7) with a floor dimmer..i love it though it is diffcult on a turn while rollin with the clutch in or shifting, but i deal with jus beaming people every once in a while..oops..o well..but i do like the floor dimmer, if nothing else, for the nostalgia. but if you figure it out..please do let me know..i'd be interested in coverting my ranger

Wire it in parallel with the MFS.

And for the record, My dad's 90 F150 has the switch, and I drove it when I was 17

The switches are readily available from just about any auto store or any Mustang restoration company. You can get one from CJ Pony Parts for about $5. For all you "young un's"...this was the ONLY switch to go from lo to hi beams prior to the mid 70's....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mid 70's? I wasn't even born yet., No wonder I've never heard of it.
Actually, I do remember driving some sort of u-haul van that had some round metal thing on the floor. Couldn't figure out what the hell it was for.

Back