Floorboard clunk after lift...

Siekyre

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 XLT
Hi All,

I have a floorboard clunk after the lift. I know exactly where it is, but wondering if this is normal. Its the Rear Driveshaft U Joint (right off the transfercase) hitting the floorboard under hard acelleration. I have replaced the Trans mount thinking it was worn out after 154K miles (and couldn't hurt) but it still does it. Anyone have this issue after installing a lift? Is it from the axle twisting under accel shoving the tranning up into the floorboard? Or is it from maybe a busted motor mount allowing the motor to twist resulting in the same?

It's a 93 explorer with 5.5 superlift, so it went with the superlift rear axle SOA kit.

Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were your spring perches welded to the axle after the SOA was completed?

No not yet. It's on the list, but I haven't found a local shop to do this and my welding skills are not up to par.

This is a 3rd possiblity for cause I hadn't thought about. Thanks.

My bet is on the rear axle wrapping up during acceleration. If I were you I would check your pinion angle and head over to your local muffler shop. They should be able to weld the perches on for you.

driveshaft angle is prob. too steep

Back