Flopping sound when the temperature control is moved to hot. Told it is at least 4 hours to take apart. Any thoughts? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Flopping sound when the temperature control is moved to hot. Told it is at least 4 hours to take apart. Any thoughts?

Indy52

Reaction score
City, State
Speedway, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
The hot/cold control makes a clunking sound when moved to hot and no hot air comes out. We have been told it is at least a 4 hour job to try to get to the attentuator that might be causing this. Anyone have a possible fix? Thanks.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mototech77

Reaction score
City, State
DeLand, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS
2WD
I had the same issue except mine was stuck on heat, and it was caused by the blend door actuator. Assuming that you have standard controls and not the automatic, dual-zone system, 4 hours is probably about right depending on skill level. I had to remove my center console along with other panels, and even then it was a bit difficult to get to. However, for the cost of the part, if you are mechanically inclined and patient, you will save a lot of money doing it yourself. The part is roughly $30 from Rock Auto depending on which manufacturer you choose.

<

Indy52

Reaction score
City, State
Speedway, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I had the same issue except mine was stuck on heat, and it was caused by the blend door actuator. Assuming that you have standard controls and not the automatic, dual-zone system, 4 hours is probably about right depending on skill level. I had to remove my center console along with other panels, and even then it was a bit difficult to get to. However, for the cost of the part, if you are mechanically inclined and patient, you will save a lot of money doing it yourself. The part is roughly $30 from Rock Auto depending on which manufacturer you choose.
Thanks. That is encouraging.

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
2004 explorer or 2004 explorer sport/trac?
The bled doors are completely different on the Gen II vs Gen III trucks
We are currently in the 01-05 sport and sport trac forum, these are still Gen II trucks/dash.

4 hours is alot of time to access blend door actuator on a gen II, more like 30 minutes
Gen II (2001-2004 sport and sport trac) you do not have to remove center console, the bled door actuator is behind the glove box
In the Gen III trucks (02+ explorer) the bled door motor requires center console work.

<

Mototech77

Reaction score
City, State
DeLand, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS
2WD
2004 explorer or 2004 explorer sport/trac?
The bled doors are completely different on the Gen II vs Gen III trucks
We are currently in the 01-05 sport and sport trac forum, these are still Gen II trucks/dash.

4 hours is alot of time to access blend door actuator on a gen II, more like 30 minutes
Gen II (2001-2004 sport and sport trac) you do not have to remove center console, the bled door actuator is behind the glove box
In the Gen III trucks (02+ explorer) the bled door motor requires center console work.
Wow, thanks for pointing out the difference. I apologize for not seeing I was in the wrong forum and for any confusion I may have caused.

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
thats why we are here!! I have battled bled doors for many many years now
I can fix the gen II blend door issues in a number of ways

I was sad to see when the Gen III trucks came out (2002+ explorer) they still had blend door issues.....sheesh

good luck!

<