Flowmaster 40 Gas mileage improvement?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster 40 Gas mileage improvement??

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
My girl and I share our the explorer since we live where there is crazy good public transportation we only need the one car. The problem is that I have to convince the girl of certain mods if she is to chip in and approve. If I install this flowmaster 40, will my MPG improve at all? If so, then I am gonna do it, even if it is a half a mpg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you improve the engine's ability to breathe you will allow the engine to work easier which means using less gas but getting more power. i personally would invest in an intake, throttle body, headers, and an exhaust if you're looking for better mileage. all of these will give you slight horsepower gains if done right and you don't drive like a nascar driver.

i have the super 40 on my explorer and i didn't see an increase, but i'm also running stock sized piping, i think if i were to run 2.5" in stead of 2.0" i woudl see an increase. but it may also be because my engine needs a rebuild and it's got 260K miles on it.

you need to read Aldive's "My Quest for 30". it gives a lot of insight as to what you can do. we'll never be able to get as high as he did, but i think our OHV engines can get to 20 easily. good luck.

My engine has been getting almost 21 when it is runnng right so I am hopng for at least 24 =)

Oh yea I also plan on doing the whole intake/maf/tb thing and installing a catback system along with the muffler. The headers seem like a pain in the ass to do myself, how much do you thin a shop would charge to nstall them?

Oh yea I also plan on doing the whole intake/maf/tb thing and installing a catback system along with the muffler. The headers seem like a pain in the ass to do myself, how much do you thin a shop would charge to nstall them?

more then you'd probably be willing to pay. The headers on these vehicles don't look to be to bad if you put it on jackstands and take your time. not like the little front wheel drive cars.

are you get 21 in city or on the highway? can you explain your math?

Honestly- if you're looking at all those things, and having a shop install them- you will negate any improvements in fuel savings $ by what you're putting into it, for a long time. Look at dollars- at your hypothetical 1/2 mpg, how much will you save per tank like $2.00? How many tanks will you need to burn to make the cost back up in real dollars?

Now if you really want to install everything because they sound cool to you, that's a better idea... ;)

Now if you really want to install everything because they sound cool to you, that's a better idea... ;)

I think thats what he was getting at with the orig post, but he has to have proof that it will help fuel economy to persuade his g/f into letting him lol.

you will get more mpg as long as you keep your foot out of the floor(I cant)

you will get more mpg as long as you keep your foot out of the floor(I cant)

This is true. But if you are really gets above 20 miles per gallon (city or highway, btw?) that's all ready pretty damn good.

Well I will pretty much all of the work myself, and I will go easy on it for MPG sake. The only thing I would have done at a shop would most likely be the cat back system and I would get that for a good deal. Everything else would not cost too much. As far as the mods, I can do whatever I want to the truck, but my GF will split the bill if the MPG is improved when she or I drive. Yes I would like more power when I need it, and yes I would like to get better gas mileage.
@blacksheep
I get a little better then 20.5 on the highway. Right now I am on a road trip going across the country with my GF and a truck full of gear(I would say about 500lbs) My last tank got me 18.99 mpg and this was about mostly highway miles with a bit of that being in the mountains, and some city/mountain city driving. I use the same method aldive uses to get my mpg estimate, always have.

This is true. But if you are really gets above 20 miles per gallon (city or highway, btw?) that's all ready pretty damn good.

Yeah seeing as I get 14.5

personalized dents resembling 55MPH accident.

You got the custom dents too?!

I got some imitation hickory nut dents on the hood and kustom pinstriping down the passenger side that some nice person applied free!

There will be hardly any improvement, if any in MPG or power from installing a flowmaster or intake. Headers you could maybe see a 1MPG/15hp improvement along with a muffler upgrade.

i think though, if you upgrade everything mentioned, you will get more an mileage increase when everything's added together. i'm working on finishing my intake right now. eventually i'm getting the engine rebuilt, but i want to get all the mods bought and installed before

There will be hardly any improvement, if any in MPG or power from installing a flowmaster or intake. Headers you could maybe see a 1MPG/15hp improvement along with a muffler upgrade.

if you didn't see improvement from either of those things then you got other problems.

look at aldive if it didnt work he wouldnt install all those parts, i bet his ex hauls @$$ to boot!

if you didn't see improvement from either of those things then you got other problems.
The problem is newer vehicles are pretty damn efficient in stock form and bolt ons offer little benefit. But prove me wrong and post some dyno sheets :rolleyes:

yea but alot of efficiency is sacrificed due to emissions and what not, right? i personally have put the volant intake and a flowmaster 40 on the stock piping, throttle response went up a ton alot more immediate grunt...mileage? i get about ten because i cant keep the foot out of it! :|

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well have been thinking of doing many mods over the course of a weekend in an effort to improve mileage. I would be very happy if I could squeeze 24mpg out of this ride. We will see though, how it pans out.

I may end up selling this nice machine and getting an SOHV 99 explorer

Back