Flowmaster 40-Series Muffler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster 40-Series Muffler

V8Limited

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited
I have a 2003 Limited Explorer, 4.6L V8, and I've been looking at the 40-series flowmaster muffler. I've been searching everywhere on this forum and I still can't find an answer to whether I should order the 2.25" in/out or 2.5" in/out. Please help me with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And another question, how much do places usually charge to weld the parts on?

don't know what the diameter of stock pipes on a V-8 are. Best idea would be to take a measuring tape to the end of the pipe. My GUESS is 2.5 inch.

As for welding, most likely less than 100, maybe 75-ish.

go 2.5. i have a 3" in and dual 2.5s coming out. sounds great. + the 2.5 pipe is the best size for power, and bigger you would lose power.

Just stop by a local shop and have them give you an estimate. Mine 40 series installed was only $100. Muffler and all. They use all your stock pipe, just cut the factory muffler out, and put the flowmaster in.

the size of mine is about 2 1/4 on my V6... i cut the flange piece off the stock muffler and took the rest of the piping out and added a turndown...great sound with the V6.. bet the 8 will have a beastly sound... im thinkin about running my stock pipe to the back and doing a side outlet behind the back tire pointing diagonally... anyone think i will lose much power/sound if i run it back?

When I had the flowmaster put on mine it only cost me $40 to have it installed. The guy cut out the old muffler added a pipe to make it fit and welded it all together. Only $40 :D The guy also welded the exhaust on my dads F150, from the y pipe back and did it for $25. :thumbsup:

I would just go hunting and ask for estimates and don't be afraid to go to the smaller independent shops, they usually do work for a lot less money.

Back