Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
After reading a few threads on Flowmasters, I decided I want to go with the 50 Series for the low tone yet increased performance. However, I've never gone beyond stock mufflers. So, here's the question list:

(1) What's the benefit of aluminized steel over stainless? I want the muffler to withstand the salty northeast winters that it sees. I noticed stainless was cheaper - does aluminized last longer or perform better? (EDIT - I think I have this backwards - SS is the way to go.)

(2) I'm mocking the stock setup, that is, the pipe will exit at the right rear and essentially follow the stock lines. Nope, no dual outlets - unless both ran behind the rear wheels, I am not crazy about the duals out the rear whatsoever.

(3) It seems summit racing is the best outlet for these. Or, is there a better shop with better prices? I plan on tackling the install with a neighbor who had a full lift in his garage (he races dirt track cars). Is the installation self-explanitory (with instructional help!) or is this something that I'll regret and pay a muffler shop for later?

(4) What's the fancy Delta muffler do that the regular 50 series doesn't? Is there an increase in sound (I want a deeper sound, but not of the 40 series variety)? What about the SUV variant?

(5) DRAFT - is your exhaust the 50 series (I like the sound - that is how I want the Trac to sound)?

(6) Is it worth replacing all of the Trac's 2.25" pipes with 2.5"?

(7) Is there anything else I should know?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I have Sport Trac, so anyone with specific Trac knowledge or really has a grasp on this stuff is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys and gals. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99 explorer SOHC 4.0 and I just last weekend me and a friend who owns a shop installed 50 series duals on my explorer

Heres some answers to your questions as I need a lot of homework on this

1) From what I read, stainless should last the lifetime of the truck. Also Flowmasters carries a lifetime guarentee. Not sure if this will cover damage from the salt on the roads. I live in florida so I have no worries

3)Either try ebay or summit racing, those are the two with the best prices. As for the piping, you might want to get a muffler shop just to bend all the piping for you and you install it yourself of go to discounts and try to peice a system together by yourself. The guy who installed my setup had a mandrel bender so I was fortunate there. Dont get pressed bent piping

4)the 50 series flowmaster mufflers have the delta flow built into it. When reading the box, I read delta flow is supposed to redirect air that usually causes the loud sound in the 40 series mufflers and turns it into power

6)I read around that it really isnt needed to get larger piping due to how small the engine is. If it was v8 then yeah, but since stock piping is only 2 1/8th inch I just got 2.25" inch and felt fine about doing it.

7) I felt a big increase in torque. You might also want to invest in a cold air intake to compliment it nicely. I chose the 50 series because I wanted the added power and looks of the duals out the back without the loudness the 40 series has. Also the delta flow is nice because it turns all that noise into power. The only time the muffler really gets loud is under heavy acceleration. But after you get to your cruising speed it sounds like its stock

afboy143

do you got pics of dual flows on your X.

I got dual chamber 2 flowmasters on my 01 Sport.

Here check out some pics of my X and tell me if my flows are the same setup as yours or what.

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

sams so many people have asked me for pics. I have to take some tomarrow. All the welds arent completely finished yet, we still have to polish it off this sat. I will get some pics morning before work I promise. As for flowing the same, nope I have 1 pipe that dumps behind each wheel that slants down with nice oval chrome tips, looks very trick.

Afboy,

My Volant CAI kit arrived today... :) But thanks for the answers to each question!

AdamCKach said:
(5) DRAFT - is your exhaust the 50 series (I like the sound - that is how I want the Trac to sound)?

Where can I hear Drafts?

no prob man just let us know what happens

Back