Flowmaster Cat Back.

mf94_4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Massachussetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mountaineer
Hey all,

Ive been wanting to get some exhaust on my 94 Ex 4dr, and i want something that will be pretty cheap, I found a Flowmaster Force II kit and it says it comes with 2.25 piping from the cat back, and i belive a 50 series muffler. Summit Racing has them for 160 bucks wich is pretty good price. Im just wondering if anyone has this kit on their Explorer now, and how does it sound / did u notice an increase in power and such. Thnx for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had that kit (still have cat-to-muffler pipe from the kit) and loved it. I noticed a little increase in acceleration but a big difference in sound. It took a week or 2 for the muffler to break in, but it was well worth the $160 with free shipping. I wanted something louder so I opted for a 40 series, then went with Super 40. Very good investment IMO.

I've had the Force II for about 3 years now and loved it. It's not too loud like the 40 series but you can hear the rumble outside the cab. For increase of power, well I also have a hi-flo cat with it and both made quite an increase on power.

I've had the Force II for a couple months now. Sounds good, not super loud, but it has a nice rumble to it and it sounds good. I noticed an increase in acceleration and throttle response. It's a great kit, and if you install it yourself you can do it in about 30 minutes. Also, like huskyfan said, it takes a little while for the muffler to break in. It sounds WAY better after a couple weeks than it does out of the box. Later.

i was also looking at that exhaust i just ordered the mac intake and id like to get an exhaust. What model number would i order for my 97 sport b/c i dont see any yrs or anything to decifer whicke generations the exhaust is for. I saw a few diffrent systems for the explorer so how do i know which is which.,

Jay

Thanks guys, sounds like its just what im looking for. Ill prob be ordering one up in the next few weeks along with a KKM intake........those should help a little in the get up and go department.

j602 said:
I've had the Force II for a couple months now. Sounds good, not super loud, but it has a nice rumble to it and it sounds good. I noticed an increase in acceleration and throttle response. It's a great kit, and if you install it yourself you can do it in about 30 minutes. Also, like huskyfan said, it takes a little while for the muffler to break in. It sounds WAY better after a couple weeks than it does out of the box. Later.

Same here. My impressions exactly

I have had the Flowmaster kit for about 3 months now and I love it. Mine came with a 40 series muffler and it gave my X a little more acceleration and rumble.

I LOVE my Flowmaster. It sounds awesome and the gains in power are surprising.
I believe I have the 40 series muffler. I ordered from Summit Racing and got it for $169.99.
My dad and I installed it very fast. A very good buy.

I think my kit cost 185.86 with shipping and I put it on myself without jacking it up which was kind of time consuming. I just ordered a K&N cone for my X yesterday to go along with my exhaust and while thats on its way I'm building a heat shield with ram air. So it should move up from really slow to just slow:)

i just had a flowaster 50 series installed and i could barley hear a difference in sound. i was pissed off to say the least. i dont kno0w what to do to make it louder but i am not real into dropping more money into it.

BigRath04 said:
i just had a flowaster 50 series installed and i could barley hear a difference in sound. i was pissed off to say the least. i dont kno0w what to do to make it louder but i am not real into dropping more money into it.
Give it a couple weeks. The muffler has to break-in.

Yea, my muffler took quite a while before it got the throaty sound to it. Sometimes I even think it is sounding better all the time and I put it on four months ago.

Meineke Muffler presently has a Summer Sale on a performance cat-back system. If anyone wants info it's available at www.meineke.com

Can somebody explaine how a muffler breaks in?, just curious

I can't really explain it scientifically, but it just does. I know because my muffler sounds WAY better now than when I put it on. If you play music, you understand the theory. It's a like a new guitar amp or a cymbal, it just takes some time to break in and get to where it sounds and performs its best.

I know some people smell something funky coming from new mufflers that goes away eventually, usually caused from rust proofing, stickers on pipes, or paint burning off. As for sound, maybe the mufflers characteristics change once theres a build up of carbon or from the muffler continously heating up and cooling down. My muffler got louder too, and it gets louder when I the car/cat/muffler are warmed up.

I drove my X up and down the river by my house about a week after I put the exhaust on. As I drove through that soft sand trying to stay above it I smelled something weird. I found a hard spot to pull over and saw smoke rising from underneath my truck. It was my muffler smoking and the paint burning from being so hot. I thought my truck was on fire!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did u guys know which exhaust to buy since they dont give yr and models on summit?

Back