Flowmaster Catback install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster Catback install

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
So I got my Flowmaster Force II Catback kit from Summit. Ive read some posts regarding installing it, some people have said they were able to install it without jacking up the truck, others said they needed to remove the shock mount. If I jack up the rear tires(and chock the fronts) and stick my jack stands on the axle tube, will I be able to remove the old exhaust? Or will I actually need to take off the shock mount?

Also, I got the catback kit, does anyone know if i still need an exhaust gasket for the cat pipe connection?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a cut off wheel to cut the rear tail pipe off at the muffler. I needed to cut it up for the trash pickup anyway. The pipes should be easy to cut with any metal cutting blade (sawsall etc). Since the new system is in several pieces you will not need to jack up the truck to install it. I did not remove any shock mounts and jacked up my XLT just enough to remove the rear wheel. If you don't cut the pipes then you will need to jack up the trucker highter in order to swing the old stuff out the of the way.

If your old one looks ok you could try getting away with re-using it. I bought a new exhaust donut gasket ($9) since my old one was MIA...You may need to cut off a few inches from the front pipe as the exhaust layout came in 2 configurations. The FlowMaster instructions cover this really well.

ok, so i get under there and get ready to install the flowmaster....turns out someone welded the pipe from the cat to the muffler at the cat, so there is no gasket or anything there. should i just leave this in place and cut the pipe where it hits the muffler to install my new muffler? if this is not a good idea, can someone post a pic or diagram of the exhaust flange joint? i have the gasket and bolts, just dont know how they go on.

You should have a new short 2' pipe with a flange connection on one end (straight at the other). This mates up with the identical looking flange about a foot away from the CAT.

i used the new "coupler" to connect the old pipe from the cat with the muffler. i got the whole thing welded up, so should be good. only thing is it sounds exactly like my stock exhaust (when it was working) wtf?!

It takes a week or two to burn in. After that time you'll have a better sound.

should i reset my computer?

jgilbs said:
i used the new "coupler" to connect the old pipe from the cat with the muffler. i got the whole thing welded up, so should be good. only thing is it sounds exactly like my stock exhaust (when it was working) wtf?!

That's what I said as soon I started it up after installing mine. You can only really hear the difference at WOT. But, like husky said, let it break in, it'll sound better after a couple weeks. And yes, I would reset the computer.

The 50 Series isn't that loud to begin with. You will notice a mild increase and sound but it wasn't enough to satisfy me, so I upgraded to a 40, then later a Super 40.

Does that kit come with just a Delta 50 or the 50 SUV series, or is there no difference?

It comes with a 50 SUV and yes there is a difference. The SUV's quieter than the Delta.

yea, its SUPER quiet - im kinda disappointed. but it does feel like my engine is performing at its full potential (before, you could "feel" the restrictive exhaust - like the engine was struggling at WOT) well i guess time will tell how it will sound,

If it is the 50 suv series muffler, I dont know how u can say its quiet.....when im rolling down my street its some what loud cuz my mom can always here me comming home late nights.

Well, maybe your mom has sensitive ears. I don't know, 3 people in this thread have all said they're really quiet so it's gotta be somewhat true. Maybe you just got a loud one.

apparently there are 2 versions(correct me if im wrong) theres a 50 series with deltaflow technology, and a 50 series without. maybe you got the 50 series without it?(possibly an older model?)

before i forget, just wanted to share a few impressions with all of you:

first of all, for some reason my cat to muffler pipe was welded at the cat (but slipjoint clamps were used everywhere else) so I ended up not using that pipe. my old exhaust had a "connector" tube connecting aforementioned pipe with the muffler, but that was hopelessly rusted, so I cut it sideways and pried it off the pipe, leaving some workable pipe so I did not need to cut the welded pipe (I figured it wasnt leaking and I didnt want to have to try to remove the 2 rusted in bolts on there, so i would just leave it) I attached the short "conector" tube (used for vehicles, like mine, where the cat is attached back an extra 4") to the old pipe, then to the muffler, then the tailpipe to the muffler and tigenented all the connections

when I started it up, ALL the joints leaked. so, I figured why mess with it, and I got all the joints welded for only $15 at Professional Muffler in Iowa City. now, everything is airtight and should last a while. only problem is, even if all of your connections dont leak, I STRONGLY reccommend that you get the connection from the muffler to the tailpipe welded. this is a very bad connection.

also, as it was mentioned before, those 3 "washers" on one of the clamps are actually for the hangers so they dont slip off of the stock mount - remove them before installing the clamp.

just reset my computer and am going to take it for a test drive, ill let yall know if i feel any difference...

Glad to hear everything has been installed and working ok.. My 50 series is also quiet (only slightly louder than stock). I was hoping it was louder, but I have no complaints.

Back