Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Couple of questions for you all. I split my muffler open at Rausch a few months back, and my temp muffler weld seal busted back open recently. It's loud as hell, and the drone in the cab is driving me insane, so I'm trying to get a new muffler. I wanted a Flowmaster 70 for the slight upgrade in sound over stock but no cab drone. I went to Meineke today and spoke to one of the guys there, and he told me Flowmaster sounds the best, but it's going to rot out in 2 years and need full replacement. Anyone in the northeast rolling with Flowmasters that haven't rotted out after 2 years? He suggested Magnaflow for one that will last 5-6 years or more, but I was kinda set on the 70. I just don't want to have to replace it in 2 years.

The second question I had was about the muffler split and idle. With the big split in the muffler and a small hole in the pipe farther forward, near the cat - would that be enough of a loss in back pressure to affect my idle? I've recently noticed my truck idling at around 625 instead of the usually 900-1000.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had my flowmaster for about 3.5 years it's still fine, the case is a bit rusty but there is now way that it is gonna blow out anytime soon. I know cars out here don't rust like they do where you live. But the mufflers are made of some seriously thick steel and I can't imagine that they would blowout after only 2 years.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go with the Flowie if none of you have had any problems. I don't want to deal with the Magnaflow and adding resonators and that stuff to cut down on the drone.

If anyone knows about the idle, please post away.

The idle will not be affected by the exhaust leaks down stream of the front O2 sensors.

If you don't let a vehicle set un-driven for periods of time, the mufflers should last many many years. Driving a vehicle regularly drastically increases the lifespan of most parts, especially up North. Good luck,

My 50 series Flowmaster has seen 4yrs of harsh New England weather and has no signs of premature rusting. I would buy a Flowmaster 50 again :thumbsup: its not as loud as a 40, but makes some deep sound when you get on the go pedal.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with the 70. Got a little bit of after market growl and none of the highway in cab noise thats driving me nuts currently.

Go to pepboys and get a cherrybomb elite. Should be cheaper than the flow. I have the pro on my sport and I think it sounds good :thumbsup:

Dan

Its not that bad. Never noticed a differance in it.

I just have not had the time to go get a system done.

Dan, I spoke with the local company Cherry Bomb. The Elite is one of their top two street type mufflers, they also have loud higher performance mufflers. Their turbo muffler is supposed to be the quietest which they make. I am still on the fence about what two to use in my V8 truck, the Elite or the SDT like I have in my V6 Explorer.

I think nocturnall is mistaking the mufflers I am talking about with the turbo or glasspack. The elite and pro are chambered mufflers that are identical to the IMCO series of the same name. So far I am extremely impressed with this cherrybomb pro. It is on the loud side, but I like it, but again there really is no drone with it. The Elite should be quieter, since it is longer and is a 3 chamber muffler. Jason, you heard my truck at Rausch Creek in September. So far there is no rusting of the muffler at all. CDW, The Edelbrock looks good, I would say try it out. Nocturnall, Cherrybomb makes other mufflers other than a glasspack and turbo. I had a turbo on my sport, the dynomax version, and I did not like it at all either, had a sort of buzz to it. I think the Elite would sound good on the SOHC, and it should not be too obnoxious. The problem you may find will be getting the dual inlet unless you are doing the y-pipe before the muffler. Besides, with those big 33" mud tires, you shouldn't be able to hear too much of a drone. I think the next time I am at a run I will have to get someone to ride shotgun so they can hear for themselves what this muffler is like on the highway. CDW, you dont have a sound clip of the V6 with the SDT do you?

Dan

Dan, I did hear it, and I remember asking you what it was because I really liked the growl. Problem is I'm just very gun shy about the in cab noise. I've been dealing with the split muffler on and off since Rausch and honestly I cannot take the noise in the cab. When I get out of the car after my hour+ rides to and from school, my ears are stuffy and I just want peace and quiet. I can't carry a conversation without yelling, and have to crank my music to stupid levels to hear it clearly. Obviously, a muffler like the one you have, or even a Flowmaster 50 won't be anywhere near that bad, but after dealing with this for two months, I don't even want a little bit of a drone. I want as close to stock in cab as I can get with a slight aftermarket tone. After all I've read, it seems the 70 is perfect for that.

I hear you on that. I think anything will be better than your current setup. As far as rust is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you leave your rig parked in mud and water for periods on end. Even if you drive on the beach and in salt water, I can't see it being a major problem as you would probably hit a car wash afterwards anyways. Flowmasters use a heavy gauge metal, the only rust on any of the flowmasters I've had has been on the welds and not the actual muffler. When you get it done be sure to post a sound clip!

Dan

I agree that for a daily driven car you normally will be happier with as little cab noise as possible. I lean that way anyway, and finding a performance muffler that is quiet is much harder than it was twenty years ago. I look hardest at the large chambered mufflers, like the Flowmaster 70's. The Elite and SDT mufflers are like that also, with over 20" long bodies. The Cherry Bomb Turbo is a short little 14" size, I can't see those working well for a V8.

Dan I don't yet have any sound or video clips, I will hunt for a video camera sometime later. The SDT has almost no sound with zero throttle, WOT is just right, at part throttle or under load it has a mild note with no drone, and most people would love it. I'll post a picture or two shortly, it's in the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is 2 gutted cats and nothing else. mostly at idle.

Back