• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster size?

kstrayhorn

Reaction score
City, State
Landmark, Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I am going to get a Flowmaster 40 series muffler, but I wasn't sure what size in/out and what position (offset/center) I needed to get to make it a direct fit for the stock system.

02 xlt 4.0L SOHC 4dr 2wd... I think that is all you need to know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters and they are 2 1/2 inch tips

2.25'' ( Center / Offset ) - wont be a direct fit, because you need extra piping...

that will fit the stock pipe diameter.

i would buy 2.5'' inlet/outlet, should you wanna upgrade the exhaust pipe size... 2.5'' pipe over the factory 2.25'', makes all the difference in the world...

alright, thank you, I didn't think that anyone was going to post and the advance auto sale on it ends today! I will go with the 2.5 and get it put in tomorrow.

how are you installing the muffler ?

yourself with bolt on clamps or installed by a shop ?

I am going to look at advance after my dentist appt. at 2:30. If I can find a clamp on, I will install it myself. If not, I will have the local shop do it, they said they would for $30. I have the tools to do it myself, but I am afraid of having leaks. One more thing, offset/center in/out, or does it even matter?

for a flowmaster you need ( CENTER IN / OFFSET OUT )

if you do get a 2.5'' muffler, should you want to run 2.5'' piping later on, i would highly suggest going to the exhaust shop to have it done...

Yeah, I figured up how much it would cost to do it myself vs. have the shop do it. It was about 5 cheaper for me to buy the exhaust with an aap coupon and have my muffler shop install it. The only one they had was off in/center out. Got it installed, cost me around 110 total. Thanks for your help everyone!

Can you post a video of this exhaust? Also did you remove the resonator? And what series are you running? Can't wait to hear it rev it some to please.

what size is needed for the V8 5.0 1998 ??

You would have to post in that section to find out. This is 2002+ explorers so they are a bit different. Hope this helps ya

I don't have a decent video camera, so I probably won't be able to take a video, although it does sound good. It is the 40 series, but not the DeltaFlow, just the regular 40 series muffler, stock resonator, cats, and everything else.

I know people have said to remove the resonator for more rumble.

droping the resonator makes a quite a difference...

what size muffler did you end up getting ?

I don't know what you mean what size? 2.5" in 2.5" out offset in center out. I got that because it was the only 40 series they had at advance and the one at auto zone was a delta flow, and $15 more. Hope that helps. and milladog I have been looking for my camera, I can't find it anywhere, but I will try to post a video in the next couple of days.

Also, caldwell, do you know what kind of difference it makes? does it just make it louder or what? the reason I am asking is because I am not looking forward to doing it myself because I know I will mess something up, yet I want to do it because I am not as pleased as I would like to be on the higher rpm pitch, would it change that? I am just trying to justify the extra work to cut of the resonator.

buy dropping the resonator your increasing exhaust flow first off, which is good, and it will give you better sound yes...

if you bought to 2.5'' in/out muffler, and your considering dropping the resonator... i would just spend the money to have full 2.5'' pipe done. this way the exhaust is finished for good other than if you decide to switch up mufflers...

having the full 2.5'' exhaust will make the truck sound better, and it will yeild good HP/TQ + MPG gains also...

since having my exhaust finally done, i gained an extra 20+ miles on my last tank of gas... not to mention it sounds deeper, and louder

yeah, I would definitely like some more hp/tq, between this and the airbox mod, I am amazed at how far so little will go. I am a bit hesitant on having the 2.5"s run because school is about to start back and my income is sitting pretty close to 0. On top of that, sometime, probably in the next 2 months, I am going to have to buy tires. Then I am going to need to replace the shocks/springs. So there's going to be a lot of cash flow going out and not a lot coming in, if you know what I mean. That's why I hoped that I could just throw a muffler on it and be done. Eventually, yes I will run 2.5"s and maybe do something fancy like duals or smokestacks or something (kidding on the stacks, where would I run them anyway?) but I was going to cut of the resonator myself and weld on some extension pipe myself if it would be of benefit. I guess I will call the exhaust shop sometime and see how much it would be to run those pipes, but after that, I am done with modding until after I get all of those replacements done. :(

exactly... just call your local exhaust shop, and see what it would cost to just have the pipe run. if you can i would just do it now, and get it out of the way...

plus once it is done you will be saving a little bit of cash every week on gas. an exhaust on your X will be a good investment long term...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, caldwell, you have been a great help on all of my questions on several different matters

Back