Fluid amount issue

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
I put a new cover on my diff today. LPW cover. It has a fill and a drain plug. Since the regular fill plug was seized and stripped I used the cover's.

My issue is that stock it takes 5.5 pints, or 2 1/2 bottles. I put 11 pints, or 5 1/2 bottles until it reached the fill plug since I had not other way of determining the fluid it needed. It says "increased fluid capacity" but that seemed like a TON to me, but I was having a crappy day, so after several additional trips to the store I got it filled. It was not cheap, not at 12 bucks a bottle...

What is your thoughts on 11 pints??? Please don't tell me I have to dump it out. I'll cry. That was 72 dollars in fluid.

Here is the site for the cover: http://www.lpwracing.com/Ultra_FORD/Ultra_FORD.html

I got it used from a member here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear diff fill also includes fluids going into the axle tubes. Too much fluids and it will fill the tubes and can leak out the axle seals, and when it heats up it can come out of the vent tube.

This has been confused by others in the past. The fill hole isn't the level of fluid hole like a t-case. It's just a fill hole.

I believe you have way too much in there. Even if the new cover can hold more fluids, don't mean you should fill it all the way. The internals do not need to be submerged in a bath, as they self lube as the gears turn and the fluid crawls up with them. A good fill level is to the bottom of the axle tubes, which should be around 2.5-3 bottles or 5-6 pints.

Rear diff fill also includes fluids going into the axle tubes. Too much fluids and it will fill the tubes and can leak out the axle seals, and when it heats up it can come out of the vent tube.

This has been confused by others in the past. The fill hole isn't the level of fluid hole like a t-case. It's just a fill hole.

I believe you have way too much in there. Even if the new cover can hold more fluids, don't mean you should fill it all the way. The internals do not need to be submerged in a bath, as they self lube as the gears turn and the fluid crawls up with them. A good fill level is to the bottom of the axle tubes, which should be around 2.5-3 bottles or 5-6 pints.

Hmmmmm. looks like I wasted some money today, that just adds onto my sh**y day...

I couldn't find an answer earlier when doing this, I asked a few friends and we all figured fill to the plug exactly like you said, like a transfer case. I was afraid of over filling it.

Atleast it has a drain plug... I should be able to get a few pints out.

Looking at the pics the plug, the fluid level is a good bit over half way up the shafts, hence why it just kept drinking fluid.

I'm asking the guy I bought it from how much he put in. I figured the regular 5.5 wouldn't be good because it was a deeper cover. I did see somewhere, maybe a jeep forum, that the "solid" cover uses 10 pints on the 8.8. So i assumed I was ok, i guess not.

10. Add fluid to the manufacture’s recommended level. If your application has a factory fill plug on the side or front of the housing, it is the correct level to use.
Note: The fill plug on most LPW covers is located higher than the recommended level. Most LPW support covers increase fluid volume approximately one pint.

If all else fails, read instructions. Kidding aside, you don't have a fill plug level to use.
As a precaution, I would do a complete drain, refill with the amount specified in your
manual, and add the extra pint the LPW cover provides. Subtract from the total fluid
capacity if you need friction modifier, usually 4 ounces. I would reuse the fluid. GL

LPW Ultra & Ultimate Cover Instructions:
http://www.lpwracing.com/Instruction/LPW_ULTIMATE_ULTRA_Installation.pdf

on the rear axle tube on the drivers side is the vent tube,, it would be overflowing right now, if you took off the vent tube that goes up to the frame,

this is the cover,
211_8_8.png

this is the fill plug location,
TechSession6-DC.png

see the difference in the levels,,

If I wasn't in a hurry and frustrated yesterday I probably would have noticed this....I'm draining it in a few minutes. I have 11 pints in there, I'm taking 4 1/2 pints out to get it down to about 6 1/2 pints. I wish I would have posed this questions before hand. I figured you filled it to the plug.

Solved. I love having a drain plug.

Back