Fluid & Filter Recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fluid & Filter Recommendations

Post up your personal Preference, and which Engine, Model & Year, you use them in.

Goal: To help others make an informed decision, when purchasing parts & wanting to do the work themselves, or wanting a mechanic/shop to install a specific brand/type.

Additional helpful information you can offer:

Do you do anything changing fluids/filters, to make it easier or help for future changes?
When do you change them? When a problem arises or as routine maintenance?
Where do you source them from? Have a Link to share?
Have any DIY tips to offer for a certain model/Yr?

Share the knowledge folks, let's help each other out, as best we can!

I have used Mobil 1 in my '93 Explorer since it was brand new. When the truck had about 120,000 miles on it I pulled the cylinder heads so I could swap on a set of remanufactured heads. When the top of the engine was opened up I was amazed to see how clean it was. There was no varnish on anything. The hone pattern was still visible on the cylinder walls and best of all, no sludge at all. It's now up to about 160,000 miles and it's still running strong.

I also use Mobil 1 automatic transmission fluid in the Explorer's Mazda built 5 speed transmission, the M5OD.

In our Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel I run Shell Rotella T4 15w-40. 180,000 miles on our 2003 and no issues. I run Rotella based on recommendations I have seen in the diesel truck community.

I write the date I installed the oil filter, on the filter with a paint pen.

Always check to ensure the old gasket is removed from the oil filter mounting plate, and lubricate the new gasket with engine oil before installation.

Walmart and Amazon are the best places to buy engine oils and filters. You can find the typical popular synthetic choices for under $25 a five quart bottle. I often try Amazon for an extra savings that they have from time to time. I just received some Pennzoil 10-30 for just over $22. I like Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, or Mobil 1 sometimes.

Amsoil is the best consumer feasible oil, their lowest line is as good as the best others sell, but it's now gone up to about $5.50 a quart. There is a very high end brand QuantumBlue Lubricants that make custom fluid blends by order. I haven't tried them, but hope to when I have new high end engines built;
QuantumBlue Products « BND Automotive

Fluids and filters are very very important, for vehicle long life, and reliability. The best recommendation is to simply buy the best you can get feasibly, don't skimp on whatever is the easiest. Walmart and Amazon are relatively very convenient for everyone, go there and see what they have that you like.

Mercon V trans fluid for the transmission.

Motorcraft XL-12 transfer case fluid for the transfer case.

I use Amsoil oil and filters in everything I own. I have been using it for years and never had an engine issue. In my opinion, it is the best oil and cheapest insurance for your engine that money can buy.

Back