• Register Today It's free!

flush mount tweeters

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
Anybody install flush mounted tweeters in the doors? how did it go? got any pics? I know this subject probably has been beat to death, but when I did a search of the older posts, all the pictures aren't there anymore. I really need help figuring out where the tweeters are gonna be mounted. I would like to flush mount them in the doors up near the power mirror controls....would this work o.k. depth and sound stage wise? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are where mine are mounted:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

They sounded great and did an excellent job of raising the soundstage, up until I was forced to disconnect them both yesterday because one of the soldered connections from the manufacturer had come loose. But I will repair it and reconnect them in the near future.

hey thanks for the pic and reply...unfortunealy my X is a newer one therefore i could not mount tweets there like you have them. anybody else have some input?

Yeah, but you can do similar mountings. I have seen them above the power mirror controls both in front and on the side, and the A-pillar is always a good choice. I know Alec has pics of his.

When mounting my tweeters, I went through the "location" delima. I testmounted ( with tape ) the tweeters in many locations.

The location on the A piller shown below gave the best sound stage presentation. I did not care for the door mounted locations sound.

Attachments

• tweeter.jpg
    tweeter.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 546

I have been looking around for some tweets for my Ex , what kind do you guys have and how much did you spend on them ?

Originally posted by MONMIX
I have been looking around for some tweets for my Ex , what kind do you guys have and how much did you spend on them ?

My tweeters came with my 5 1/4 component set, which also included the xovers. The coast was about $180.

I never looked , can you get tweets alone obviously with an x-over

re: aldive

aldive, i see that you placed your tweeters on piller (A) is not the best place for a tweeters. the other place not to put tweeters is on the dash near the windshield.

the best place for mids and tweeter is the kick panels at least for image/staging. However as you see in my sig, the infinity 6.1 mids are way to big for the kicks so i placed them in the door with the tweeter in the kick panels.

my suggestion would place them in the kick panel. its easy to do.

Its important to keep the speakers even distance apart from you. Thats not really possible in a car so that why the best place is in the kick panel. Placing the tweeter on the piller is too close to your ear and your mids too far. Hence not the best location.

Why do you think the pros put the componets in the kick panel... for looks?

Paul

what about putting the mids in the doors and the tweeters in the doors near the power mirror controls facing directly towards the other side of the vehicle?

Originally posted by Holty
what about putting the mids in the doors and the tweeters in the doors near the power mirror controls facing directly towards the other side of the vehicle?

I tried that location and it did not sound nearly as good as the tweeters high on the A piller.

You have to remember that everything's going to sound different to different people... If Al moved his tweeters around and found that they sounded best on the pillars, then so be it. He thinks they sound good, he's the one who has to listen to them, so it works. Personally I think my combination of tweeters in the kickpanels and above the window controls sounds great, but others may not like it. It all depends on who's listening.

Originally posted by B94Sport
You have to remember that everything's going to sound different to different people... If Al moved his tweeters around and found that they sounded best on the pillars, then so be it. He thinks they sound good, he's the one who has to listen to them, so it works. Personally I think my combination of tweeters in the kickpanels and above the window controls sounds great, but others may not like it. It all depends on who's listening.

Excellent answer. The best location is always the one that sounds BESRT to YOU.

Agreed

You really must decide for yourself where they sound best at(as the above posters state). If you cant find what your looking for here may i suggest www.caraudioforum.com they may have some answers/suggestions for you too.

Paul

Back