• Register Today It's free!

Flush or Filter/Fluid Change

Diesel Tom

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
I've got a 2007 Explorer, 4.6L engine, 6R60 transmission. No problems or leaks with the transmission. It has 95K on the odometer. Since I bought it used, I have no history on the maintenance so I want to go ahead and service the transmission.

Here's question: Flush or filter/fluid change. With all the other automatics that I have owned and serviced, I have always done the filter/fluid change. Ford even references that method in the factory service manual.

What's the opinion of the forum?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 2007 Explorer, 4.6L engine, 6R60 transmission. No problems or leaks with the transmission. It has 95K on the odometer. Since I bought it used, I have no history on the maintenance so I want to go ahead and service the transmission.

Here's question: Flush or filter/fluid change. With all the other automatics that I have owned and serviced, I have always done the filter/fluid change. Ford even references that method in the factory service manual.

What's the opinion of the forum?

Thanks.

I would only go with a fluid / filter change for two reasons -

1. The flush can dislodge all kinds of nastiness that was being contained in the filter. There's all kinds of horror stories that occur shortly after a flush.

2. The 6R60 / 6R80 has a thermostatic valve inside that only lets fluid pass when it's sufficiently warmed up. Most flush scenarios won't achieve a high enough temperature to keep the valve open.

See here for more detail

I will never do a power flush. ALWAYS fluid/filter change.

IMO only bad things come from a power flush. I don't think you'd ever see any improvements that you wouldn't from just a simple fluid/filter change.

I guess I was lucky with mine.

With my truck towing frequently, and plowing lightly in the winter, I was doing flushes at Ford every 60k miles and had no issues whatsoever.
My torque converter went bad at around 200k but not sure if that was fluid related.

Few months ago I was replacing the mechatronic at which time I opened the tranny for the first time in 10 years. Magnet was clean save for some minimal metal dust, the filter had no debris in it.

Since I dropped the pan few times now and it is not a big deal, I'll do that next time. It will cost me just the Mercon SP and the filter. And if I want to, I can do it again after that in few hundred miles to get the rest of the fluid replaced.

Unless you use the vehicle to tow a trailer at least several times per year, I would not bother with it. It's a sealed system, so not concern for contamination. Just have a shop check the fluid level from under the vehicle (at the fill port), and visually examine the fluid. Unless it looks or smells burnt, I would leave it alone.

If you do tow with this vehicle at least a few times per year, I would tend to agree with the advise for a pan drop with fluid and filter change. No, you won't get out all of the fluid. But again, if the fluid looks and smells fine when the pan is dropped, who cares if you only replace 1/2-2/3 of the fluid? You'll get a new filter, know that the interior is in good shape (hopefully), and be happily on your way.

Back