• Register Today It's free!

Flushing Components?

blluebear

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc Mounty
I have a 97 Mountaineer. The compressor/clutch is out of my A/C system. I have been reading the sitckys and other posts and I am confused on how to "flush" parts of the A/C components.

A second question. If I were to buy the proper tools to charge an A/C system, would the documentation with the tools be enough (along with the stickys) for a beginner to complete the job properly? If so, what are some good brands of tools?

Flushing is what you would expect, use a solvent and run it through the system. There are professional systems that are extremely effective and use nitrogen or dried air to provide pressure. I have also seen systems in the stores. Personally I use alcohol and follow up with LP air. The penalty is that I'm introducing moisture into the system. To flush, remove the condensor add solvent agitate and blow out with dry air. For the evaporator pour the solvent in at the top and it will come out the bottom, blow out with dry air. For the refrigerant lines add solvent, and blow out with dry air. Do not flush compressor, if necessary drain oil. Replace the accumulator (do not flush) and the orifice.

Minimum tools necessary A/C Manifold gauge set (Harbor Freight $49), Vacuum Pump ($125) or $49 w/your own source of 4.2 cfm air, A/C connector separation tool ($6).

I'm of two minds regarding picking up a set of tools and going at it. I understand the principles, think out the consequences of every act and perform the necessary work. Yet this is work performed by trained professionals. The manifold and principles of operation is simple, while the consequences of opening the manifold HP port while connected to a can of refregerant can be dangerous. I have no pat answer. Look at the stickies, by an A/C book, ask questions.

A common approach is for the DIY to R&R the components themselves and bring it to an A/C tech for evacuation and fill up.

Just my opinion... Others my have a different take.

Back