Flushing power steering fluid-thoughts on in-line filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flushing power steering fluid-thoughts on in-line filter?

Kjhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac 4wd
I'm getting ready to flush the power steering fluid and curious what everyone thinks about the inline filters?

I'm going to be using mobil 1 full synthetic atf, multi vehicle (mercon v). The filter I saw was on rockauto by I think cardone which would attach to the return line hose. I would get the metal version not plastic, if it's a good idea

I have downloaded the service manual for this so I know I need to pull the return line from reservoir and add extension hose to drain pan, then plug the reservoir inlet. The thing I'm unsure of is the size extension hose I could use on the return hose and size plug for the reservoir. I also couldn't find how much fluid it actually takes, just fill to line it says. I'm going to run new fluid in until it comes out the return hose clear/clean red. Any ideas how many quarts this might take? I bought 2 quarts but I'm sure that won't be enough. Probably 4 is what I'm guessing

I also noticed that boot for the steering shaft? To joint or gear is ripped. When looking I didn't see anything about this boot or just was unsure what it's actually called. Is this potential cause for concern?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P/S in line filter is an excellent idea, I would have added one if I found one locally when I did my flush. I used a 3/8" rubber vacuum hose cap to plug the reservoir return nipple. Very good idea to remove as much fluid as possible with a cheap turkey baster before removing the hose. Use a crescent wrench to measure the outside diameter of the return line. Doesn't have to be a tight seal or long extension. I flushed mine alone without starting the engine with the tires off the ground and turning the wheel lock to lock and refilling. One quart of Valvoline Mercon V was enough for until mine ran clear. Overlooked maintenance that dramatically improves steering feel.

Thanks that was very helpful! Yes, I already have a new turkey baster for the atf, it worked great when I did it for the brake fluid. I'll get that size cap to plug and didn't even think of the crescent wrench to measure, same way they say to measure the sway bar. Wow, 1 quart…that's good to hear, that synthetic is not cheap.

Should I go ahead and install a new return hose since I'll go ahead and add the filter?

No need if it's still soft and pliable. Do the "Charmin" test. ;)
YMMV on the fluid amount needed, mine was pretty clean at 50k.

How are your "new" brakes, any panic stops yet? :eek: LOL

I'm currently using the orange metal filter on the left side of the photo.
Power_steering_transmission_filters_.jpg

I'll have to check the hose out. I'm not sure if it's ever been done, I'm at 165k so I'm sure it's definitely dirty. No panic stops yet, I've been actually babying her at the moment. But it feels so much better without the shakes, nice and smooth. I'm sure was warped rotor and both calipers had frozen pins.

I've didn't even see that orange type filter, how does that work? Inside the reservoir?

It goes in the return line.

I can't picture it in my head, justs seems to big to go in the return line

I'm liking the cardone magna pure inline filters, aluminum/screen and magnet/bypass & serviceable.

P/S in line filter is an excellent idea, I would have added one if I found one locally when I did my flush. I used a 3/8" rubber vacuum hose cap to plug the reservoir return nipple. Very good idea to remove as much fluid as possible with a cheap turkey baster before removing the hose. Use a crescent wrench to measure the outside diameter of the return line. Doesn't have to be a tight seal or long extension. I flushed mine alone without starting the engine with the tires off the ground and turning the wheel lock to lock and refilling. One quart of Valvoline Mercon V was enough for until mine ran clear. Overlooked maintenance that dramatically improves steering feel.

Measured the od of the return hose, got roughly 5/8 (all I had was vise grips-straight jaws with teeth). Did some looking and it should be an ID of 3/8 going off the 5/8 od. Does this sound about right? Also you did say that you used a 3/8 hose cap on the reservoir so that should be the same on my 02 which would mean the Id of the hose is 3/8 to attach to that inlet nipple from the reservoir.

Does this thought process sound right to make a logical assumption? I want to order the filter and it comes in 3 sizes-3/8,1/2,5/8. I know the 5-8 is out as the od was 5/8. That leaves 2 remaining but the 3/8 is more likely given my above thought process.

I've been trying to re visit threads I started, that I have now completed to update others that may find useful. There are too many threads that don't have updates

So I decided to flush the power steering and add the inline filter today. Since I would need to remove the return line to even put the filter on, I decided to replace the hose too.

return hose acdelco p/n 36-361960
inline filter magna-pure p/n 20-0038f
Mob1 full synthetic Mercon v

I decided to jack the truck up to get my new tires off the ground- for the turning lock to lock.
I used a turkey Baster to suction out as much fluid as I could. It was dark brown/blackish.
I took off the nut for the hose bracket (below reservoir), you can access via wheel well with a 10 mm.
Pulled clamp down from the reservoir nipple and slipped hose off and added a 3/8 vacuum cap.
I didn't add an extension hose to the return line to drain nice into a canister AND made a mess of things. I fished the hose down and put a pan under.
I filled reservoir up and turned lock to lock (engine off). I used only 1 qt until it ran red. I think I got some air in.
I pulled hose off the cooler and put a 3/8 vacuum cap on the nipple.
I sharpie a good location on the old hose before I removed it. Then lined up old and new to mark cuts. Cut hose just enough to keep the same length with the filter.
1BC24B13-ACBF-4922-B46B-0FA3AD349510_zpsiejuyhqo.jpg

F5932219-E89E-49E7-A0DF-0607768F150A_zpsnwfxxpgm.jpg

Then re attached everything. Filled reservoir and turned lock to lock (engine off). Checked and filled reservoir, did this a few times before turning engine on. Gave it a second then turned lock to lock- which it started to shutter and more turning made it violent. So I turned off and started to check things, this is where I think I had air in the system. I kept turning the wheel with engine off and it seemed smooth, the fluid was getting less foamy. I lowered the truck to the ground and went around the parking lot. Everything seemed fine. Went for a 10 min drive and it still seems all good- haven't noticed any leaks.

I did notice that inside the reservoir there actually is a filter inside- which mines was really crudy looking, not knowing what I could do I did nothing. This makes this job feel half ass. I have crude (which is a blockage, who knows to what extent) and since I only ran 1 qt through till it turned red I'm wondering if there is still crude floating around. So I may be cleaning the inline filter rather soon.

Wondering if it's worth buying a new reservoir? Thoughts

Back