• Register Today It's free!

Flushing PTU with seafoam/Diesle?

VADeputy

Reaction score
City, State
Fred, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
So does anybody have any experience getting the PTU squeeky clean with flushing it? or if any one has any input on if flushing a ptu would do more harm than good that would be helpful.

I have already drained and filled the ptu 3 times but put a camera up there and i see a lot of sludge. should i just keep draining and filling every oil change?

thanks guys for any help

Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used kerosene in the past. Put it in move the vehicle back and forth at very low speed many times times, drain, fill with regular fluid.

You could also use a low pressure airline and a small hose to aerate it inside the PTU to work some of it loose before the fill with regular fluid.

Drive 500 miles or so and then drain and fill again.

Thanks i appreciate the response. Im gonna do this next weekend
I've used kerosene in the past. Put it in move the vehicle back and forth at very low speed many times times, drain, fill with regular fluid.

You could also use a low pressure airline and a small hose to aerate it inside the PTU to work some of it loose before the fill with regular fluid.

Drive 500 miles or so and then drain and fill again.

I would recommend trans fluid - it is high detergent but still has lubricating features (many manual transmissions use ATF). This way you can drive it for a while to clean it internally without worrying that the gears or bearings are going to fail.

The sludge isn’t going to come off by just going back and forth in your driveway, plus you could overheat the trans from repeatedly shifting from D to R and back. Just my 2 cents.

I would recommend trans fluid - it is high detergent but still has lubricating features (many manual transmissions use ATF). This way you can drive it for a while to clean it internally without worrying that the gears or bearings are going to fail.

The sludge isn’t going to come off by just going back and forth in your driveway, plus you could overheat the trans from repeatedly shifting from D to R and back. Just my 2 cents.
I was also worried it might not get the sludge out. I was also worried i might mess up the seals and i think atf would have no problem with that. Thanks for the input

If you drive it any real distance at speed with ATF in there I believe you may have a problem. Think carefully about the differences between ATF and what it is designed to have in it while being driven.

Back and forth in the driveway isn't going to come anywhere near overheating the transmission.

The driving for 500 miles with the fresh fluid will help break the sludge down more. That's why the drain and refill after it is recommended.

I’d be a lot more comfortable putting ATF in there than kerosene. The PTU is just gears, bearings and seals the same as a manual trans. ATF is the factory fill in every Tremec transmission and it manages to keep those living a long life. ATF also lubes the differential gear set in every fwd application on the road.

If you aren’t comfortable with ATF then as you stated, the best option is repeated flushes with the correct gear lube and a long highway drive to sling the lubricant around inside the case real well. Drain/fill/repeat until you are satisfied with the results and/or scope the case to verify how things look.

I’d be a lot more comfortable putting ATF in there than kerosene. The PTU is just gears, bearings and seals the same as a manual trans. ATF is the factory fill in every Tremec transmission and it manages to keep those living a long life. ATF also lubes the differential gear set in every fwd application on the road.

If you aren’t comfortable with ATF then as you stated, the best option is repeated flushes with the correct gear lube and a long highway drive to sling the lubricant around inside the case real well. Drain/fill/repeat until you are satisfied with the results and/or scope the case to verify how things look.

Long drives with ATF will kill the PTU.

It isn't designed with the ATF lubrication profiles in mind.

Fill/drain with 75W-140. It isn't that expensive(Amsoil 75W-140 severe gear is $23 for about two flushes)

Back