flushing the engine coolant and oops | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flushing the engine coolant and oops

mrd

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Bragg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited Edition
I'm following the Singleton tutorial on flushign the coolant, I drained the radiator, I took out the thermostat and reconnected the housing, disconnected the lower hose, and put the garden hose in that end. Turned the hose & engine on, hum dee dum..
The water is just coming back out the bottom hose. It's not circulating through the system.. what am I doing wrong here I need to get this done ASAP. I have bad timing to try new things :\

OK well I figure it was just a typo or something on the web page and I decided to put the hose in the upper hose, tada that worked, it came out the lower hose. That seems to skip the radiator completely in the flush, so I'm thinking I will reconnect the lower hose and let it drain from the top of the radiator. Hopefully I'm not doing anything stupid here.
Anybody ever flush their coolant before? A little advice..?

Be sure to run full heat, that will clean out the heater core, and hoses. For the radiator, just stick your hose in the top, and wait for the bottom to run clear.............or you can plug the bottom (hand over) and just fill it and drain it a couple of times.

Get a flushing tee kit from Prestone. It does a better job of flushing the whole system. I just installed one on mine couple days ago. Works like a charm! :D

Back