Fluttering noise solved | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Fluttering noise solved

mkkcpa

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
In my 2020 Explorer ST, I kept hearing a strange fluttering sound that appeared to be wind related. I finally traced it to the passenger side from somewhere down low.

I crawled under and noticed the felt covered cardboard looking undercarriage trim was loose and easy to flap around with my hand.

I zip tied it. Problem solved! Was driving me crazy for months.

20210824_235054.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SteveAZ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Lincoln Corsair
I haven't looked at my explorer but, I wonder, is a nut missing from the stud beside the zips?

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I haven't looked at my explorer but, I wonder, is a nut missing from the stud beside the zips?
It's not held in by a nut. Mine is the same way. kind of cheap if you ask me.

mkkcpa

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
In the upper right corner of the photo, you can see the nearest flat nut. It was loose. I tightened but the trim was still wobbly. There are a couple of other push pins and nuts on the trim. I agree with what "themishmosh" said. Poor design.

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
EFD64469-45C5-4C7A-BADC-593C709018D8.jpeg
A7360A84-B97F-4088-8144-C1E38FF410F2.jpeg

This retaining clip on the side bottom, just behind the drivers door was loose as can be. the same one on the passenger side was tight. I took it out and bent some of the plastic grabbers inward but it doesn't look durable at all. at least now it holds the under carriage in place now without the flapping/tapping noise.

Guyerst

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer Limited
View attachment 341915View attachment 341917
This retaining clip on the side bottom, just behind the drivers door was loose as can be. the same one on the passenger side was tight. I took it out and bent some of the plastic grabbers but it doesn't look durable at all. at least it holds the under carriage in place now without the flapping/tapping noise.
I ended up replacing several of those plastic clips with a spacer, some washers to pinch the panel, and a nut. Fortunately the stud for those clips are threaded. Not sure what the nut size was, I just happened to have a couple in my stash that fit. No problems since.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I ended up replacing several of those plastic clips with a spacer, some washers to pinch the panel, and a nut. Fortunately the stud for those clips are threaded. Not sure what the nut size was, I just happened to have a couple in my stash that fit. No problems since.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
...the stud for those clips are threaded. Not sure what the nut size was, I just happened to have a couple in my stash that fit. No problems since.

M6 nuts I had fit perfectly.

fordsinNC

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
So how does this trim "nut" come off? It won't unscrew - does it just pop off? Tried to pop it off gently grabbing the nut with a pair of pliers but no go. My next step is to simply strong arm it and rip it off - thoughts anyone? I have all three on the driver side that are loose. Interestingly enough there are several that are actual nuts/washer holding the whole thing on tight. Why they didn't use the same scenario in these other 3 locations is beyond me. ~jim

2021 Explorer Limited

slow3v

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited 4WD
So how does this trim "nut" come off? It won't unscrew - does it just pop off? Tried to pop it off gently grabbing the nut with a pair of pliers but no go. My next step is to simply strong arm it and rip it off - thoughts anyone? I have all three on the driver side that are loose. Interestingly enough there are several that are actual nuts/washer holding the whole thing on tight. Why they didn't use the same scenario in these other 3 locations is beyond me. ~jim

2021 Explorer Limited

I'm curious as well.