flywheel bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flywheel bolts

driftbendito

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
what type of bolts are used to hold the flywheel on. A 12 point socket fits over them loosely, are they some type of torx bolts? and if so what size?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

12 point 13mm not 1/2"

I believe they are 13mm they may be 12mm
they are metric, the 4.0L is a Cologne 60 degree v engine, meaning Merkur Germany, so its all (mostly LOL) metric

You should be able to tell if its a torx -- a torx has 6 points in a protruding 'star' configuration where as a regular hex head has flat sides.

Powerbuilt-E-female-Socket-.gif

12 point socket, I dont own reverse torx bits and I have dealt with these bolts fourtysevenbillion times

from what i saw it definately is what is pictured so does anybody know the size?

Count how many points there are on the bolt. If its 12, then its a 12 pt metric. If there are 6, then its an External Torx metric:

"External Torx" and sockets are labeled with an "E" followed by a number. The number represents the millimeters size.

If it is indeed an external torx, just get a set and you should be good to go. It may be a bit expensive but well worth it because both External Torx and regular Torx are used all over the engine internals. For example, on the SOHC engine, the tensioners are held on by an External Torx and the balancer's gear is held on by a regular Torx (image below). And dont try to put a regular 6-pt or even a 12-pt socket on the External Torx, there is a big chance it will slip right off and round off the teeth.

If you cant afford an entire set, you can use a regular metric socket to find the metric size (the number that goes after the "E") -- the right size will be tight by hand but dont turn it with a ratchet or else, like I said, you'll probably round off the teeth.

tensioner_replaced.jpg

bought a set of torx sockets, the bolts were a torx socket e12 i believe

Glad you got it all under control.

Back