flywheel problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flywheel problem

Keith_rash

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
HEllo my name is keith R i have a 94 ford explorer with the 4.0 and and auto, It has a brand new crate motor in it with about 10,000 miles, my flywheel went out on me and i had it relplaced, about a week after having it replaced the flywheel went out agian, Just wondering if anyone had any adivce on why the flywheel went out twice in a month, or if its gonna be a happen again or if anyone has had this happen to the them?

thank you for your time
Keith R

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say "the flywheel when out", can you be more specific? What exactly happened?

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

the first time the flywheel center where the bolts attach to the car came another piece not conected to the actual piece and the secound time it cracked all the way around it so when the starter kicks in it just spins the flywheel and not the motor

You have broken the center out of two flex plates?? Something isn't right there. Are there any vibrations with engine rpm? I'm wondering if the balancer is correct and you have a harmonics problem. This could also cause problems internally. Does the converter bolt up correctly? Is there any way you can see the flywheel while the engine is running? Does it run straight and true? Do the flywheel bolts fit both the crank and the flywheel properly? Are you certain you have the correct flex plate? Does your crate motor require the later flex plate? I know there's a difference between 94 and 95, but I'm not aware of what that difference is. Most crate engines require the later flex plate.

the first one was a problem with the way the tranny was aligned, i had a cross member that holds the tranny bent up. and the secoud happend about a week after the first one was fix. the bolts do line up perfect on the flywheel and the toruque converter, but i will call the place we got the motor from and ask about the differnce in the flywheels

thank you
Keith R

I'd definitely check the crankshaft spacer. I know that Ford made a few different variations of these, you possibly could have the wrong one for your torque converter. Your crankshaft spacer could also just be bad, they crumble apart at the pilot hole & that will take out the flex plate & the pump bushing in the transmission. Another thing to check is your dowel pins ( be sure that they are there ) & dowel pin holes in the transmission bell housing ( be sure they are not ovaled out ).

I know that the book says to make an alignment mark on the flywheel before removal, to insure it goes back on in the correct position.

Also, the bolts need to be torqued in a two stage process, and in a crisscross pattern. .

I know that I'm probably asking the obvious, but do you have a pilot bearing in the spacer/crankshaft ? ....did the new engine come with the alignment dowels necessary to properly align your tranny to the block ?

also someone sells new (better) flywheel spacers. this might solve your problem.

I don't know about your specific flywheel engine combo. But I do know on some flywheels it takes a special bolt where the bolt head is not as deep as a standard bolt head. This is so it does not come into conflict with another part.

i does have a pilot berring and we torque in the criss cross, i will make sure that the spacer is correct, we didnt install the new motor we had a pro do it

any other questions

the earlier flywheels are known for this, Ford re-designed the part, it is stronger.
I wonder what the build date of your crate engine was and where the "new" flywheel came from for the second install?

Ford dealers stock these flywheels.... hmm I wonder why
seen this a few times, never twice with the same truck though...
if your second flywheel was the updated part then you may have other issues, if not, then it may just have been bad luck to get two early version, weak ones

yea this is my first truck and i have had really bad luck with it just hopeing that this is the last of my problems

Keith...one other thing worth mentioning. When you replaced the flex plate, did you use a factory Ford item? There are some real cheap aftermarket pieces out there that may not be up to snuff. Go buy one from Ford to make sure you get the latest and greatest.

He has an auto RangerX. Thank God. I can't imagine the carnage of a stick wheel came apart like that. Well, I can. I have an acquaintance who lost a few toes in his race car when the wheel came out of it, through the floorboard, through the end of his foot, through the dash, and out the windshield. Of course, he didn't have a scattershield either...idiot.

Ah, so he does! I don't know why I thought 5-speed. That's good, though. My links apply! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for trying to help. :rolleyes:

Back