• Register Today It's free!

FLYWHEEL RING GEAR

DCAIN

Reaction score
City, State
SAN MARCOS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EXPLORER
As the title states, I need to replace my ring gear on the flywheel, my trans is automatic, therefore starting my truck has became impossible, and I need to fix it. Has this happened to any of you? and what has to be done to get to the flywheel? I own a 91 ford explorer 4x4 auto.

thanks Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the transmission and torque converter must be removed to get to the flywheel.

However if you are having problems with the starter then all you need to do is remove the starter.
Disconnect the battery
Remove 2 bolts holding the starter to the transmission

You will then be able to look in the bellhousing through the starter hole and see if there is any damage to the flywheel.

I'm curious, what's the starter doing? If it's just spinning and spinning not engaging the ring gear the bendix on the starter might neet to be replaced. That has happened on my old ranger and same thing happened on my dad's outboard motor. Anyway just curious.

Later
CP :)

thanks for the reply, I already know that I need to replace the fly wheel, what I need to ask is how much work is it to remove the trans and transfer? and are there any tricks? I have a 95 camaro z28, and don't know much about this truck, or what to expect. any help would be a big help.

well its pretty straight forward

You will:
remove the exhaust Y pipe
remove the front and rear driveshafts
remove the starter
remove the wiring, shift cables, and vacuum line from tranny
Remove the dipstick upper sections
unbolt the t case skid plate
support the t case and tranny
remove tranny crossmember & mount
unbolt torque converter through starter hole by turning engine over with a socket on the crankshaft pulley
unbolt the bellhousing to engine bolts, the upper bolts can be reached from on top of the engione, around the back, or with some really long extensions and the help of a friend.

Thats it. If you have the right tools and have done this sort of thing before it can be done in one day, otherwise plan on 2-3 days.

Also this is just a guide to give you an idea of whats involved, you should really have a Chiltons manual or similar. also dont forget to drain the transmission and t case first :)

THANKS ALOT, I THINK I CAN HANDLE IT

Back