• Register Today It's free!

Flywheel to TC issues

Skotty

Reaction score
City, State
In the Pasture,Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Have a 92 Tranny and a 95 motor.Flywheel has 6 bolts same as old one.Problem is I can get the tranny less than the with of the flex plate before I cannot hand turn over he engine.Mind you the engine is in long block state with no heads.Is this normal? I tightened up the flywheel TC bolts before snugging up the engine.I have pulled this motor out three times to make sure the TC was seated properly,Which it was.I am at my wits end with this thing!

Thanks in advance

Skotty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The end of the TC should be about 7/16 inside the bell housing mounting surface. Shaft in trans only fits in one way, splines look the same on each end but are not. The splines are different lengths, the short end goes in the trans. If the engine came from a standard shift, there may be a pilot bearing in the center of the crank? Also the flex plate might different on a 95.

sorry need to clarify.This is an automatic.The Trans and engine slide up together real easy and can turn over by hand.But when I go to snug up the tranny bolts thats when it stops turning by hand.Is this normal as I have pulled this thing out 3 different times and always ends with it not being able to turn by hand.the only thing that is not from the original set up (92) is the flywheel.

The measurements when the TC is fully back is within parameters.From all the people I have talked to there is no difference from the 92 flywheel to the 95.

Where are you turning from? no, this doesn't sound normal. When you say trany bolts do you mean the bolts around the bell housing or do you mean the TC bolts? Is there a space between the engine and the trans bell housing when you side it onto the engine? Sorry just have to be sure what you mean.

When I snug the bell housing up to the engine I can no longer turn it over by hand using the crankshaft pully in the front.When the bell housing bolts are loose I can hand turn the engine over.All the post I've read seem to say the TC is not fully seated....Going to repull and see if I can get the TC go even further in.This last try I got the Bell housing less then 1/16th of an inch,(About the width of the aluminum spacer inbetween the housing and engine) before it would no longer turn over.

Skotty,

I am having the same problem, although I am working with different year models.

I took a 4r70w tranny out of a 97 Mountaineer and installed it on a 98 explorer. The transmission is attached to the engine now. When I went to spin the crankshaft (to install the 4 nuts that attach the TC to the flywheel), I found I could not spin it.

With a closer look, I found that the bolts protruding out of the TC are hitting the metal plate between the tranny and engine. I measured the bolts from both torque converters, and the bolts from the Mounty are a little bit longer (so they are hitting the flex plate). Perhaps this is the same problem you are having? Everything spun freely before I mated them together.

I'd really hate to pull that transmission out again since I've been working on hit for a week and was so close to being done. I am thinking of loosening the tranny from the engine a bit and then grinding the 4 bolts down a little to gain some clearance.

I actually just registered so I could ask a question about this, but I saw your post first.

Something is not right, you may have the wrong spacer between the crank and the flywheel.

Well after pulling the engine out twice,Triple checking everything was clean,God must have favored me!It went together just like before but this time I was able to snug everything up and still turn it over by hand.My only guess is the tc was just not seated in the Exact right position,And when I snugged it up I did it evenly all the way around while stopping every once and awhile to see if it would turn over

That and I told it if it didnt go together this time it was going on the trailer to the salvage yard....Guess she decides to cooperate

Back