FNG: How do I get the door panel off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FNG: How do I get the door panel off?

Cyclepsycho

Reaction score
City, State
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hello,

I'm a new guy here and this is my first posting. I just picked up a 1996 XLT in nice shape. The previous owners babied it, at least according to the pile of receipts that came with it and I'm happy to make it a member of the family.

I'm a motorcycle guy for the most part
http://cyclepsycho.com but also work on my 4 wheeled rigs when I can. My Explorer's rear driver's side door lock does not engage. You can hear the lock motor spin but I suspect that the rod that connects the lock mechanism is not connected. So my question is this:
How do I remove the door panel to repair this? Are their clips or screws or what?
I don't want to get to aggressive and break something off (not that that has ever happened before) so I'd appreciate it if you could help me out here.

Thanks

im not positive, but i believe you first remove that plastic piece around the door handle. then the screws behind that. then unclip all the clips that go around the edge of the door. but i do believe there are some more detailed instructions if you use the search button. welcome to the site.

There is a tool that you could get in Auto parts store specially made to remore trims including door panels. I don't have a picture of it but it looks like a flat screw driver with 2 angled heads.

Ohh, welcome to the site.:)

Back