FOG LAMP MOD '98 MOUNTAINEER | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FOG LAMP MOD '98 MOUNTAINEER

FOG LAMP MOD '98 MOUNTAINEER - COMPLETE

After searching and reading several posts here, I tried the "clipped relay" fog lamp modification. This was to simply remove one of the outer two pins, either no.1 or no. 2, from the relay and put it back in. Perhaps I'm a dope when it comes to relays, but after removing first the no. 2 pin - NO LUCK. I then removed the no. 1 pin as well - NO LUCK. Here's the kicker - the stupid fog lamps still work the same way with NO RELAY AT ALL.???
Now, my '98 mounty has the Power Distribution box just inside the fender on the left-hand side. Very easy to get to. The REAR-MOST relay is suppossed to be the fog lamp relay. That is in fact the relay I cut up. What's the deal? It sure sounds like enough folks have the fog lamps on with only the parking lights and/or the high beams on. Where did I go wrong?
For the record, this is the same relay as the one detailed in another post here with photos and everything.
F57B-14B192-AA
Two parrallel large pins
Three parrallel smaller pins - now just one in the center HA-HA!

Please offer some help if you can

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the wrong relay. If you remove a wire it will not work. Pull the relays till you find which one makes the lights not come on.

Pulled all relays - NO LUCK. I did, however, discover which relay I did take the tabs off of. The rear wiper happens to be on the relay that is SUPPOSED to be for the fog lamps. So it currently is disabled, but does work if I simply place a good relay in its position in the box. Is there ANOTHER "Power Distribution" box?

I just did the relay mod last week. I opened the wire harnes that goes to the relay box under the aircleaner. There I found the wire described by taxman. Cut the wire and extended it to the fuse box where I connected it to come on w/the key. Fogs can come on any time the key is on.
Let me know if you still have questions.

It's not so much that I couldn't do this mod, it's more about the fact that it was to be as simple as removing a tab from the relay. I'm not after fog lamps INDEPENDANT of everything else. I just want to turn them on when any of the other (parking, head, or high) lights are on. And I want them to work with the existing swith/button.

Check out this thread:

Dead Link Removed

The relay tab fog light mod is for Explorers that are already capable of turning the fog lights on when in parking lights mode out of the factory.

I was describing what I did. Where you want to hook up the power for the switch/lights is up to you.
I thought it may be easier for you, as it was for me, by not messing with the relays at all and just cutting the wire.
Oh well.....

Heres how I did mine. Remove the distribution box. There are 2 tabs on the box itself if I'm not mistaken. It takes some time to figure it out. I did, you can too then!! :p You need to find the right wire next. Its been awhile so I don't know the color of it. Cut it in half Cap the one end off leaving the one going into the box open.

Next remove you turn signal lens. Splice in a wire to the corner light(Does not light up with turn signal) And connect it to the wire going into the box. Tada! It SHOULD work.

Thats how I wired mine and they work with parking/low/high. On the original thread, I read that the '97-'98s have the relays mounted underneath the air box.

See:p

Attachments

• mvc-559s.jpg
    mvc-559s.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 889

A Little Prgress

I did manage to find a second relay box over on the right front below the air box. Just where you all told me it would be. Still makes me wonder why my owners manual refers me to the one on the left side, and then appears to be completely wrong.
Next question. How on earth do you get the bottom half of the air box out of the way in order to work on this thing? I'm seein' two"do-dads" on the bottom that go into rubber bushing-like things, and also two on the side. I don't want to destroy the thing, but I was tuggin' on it pretty good. I can get to the wire harness going into the relay box, but I don't think I can get to the other one that has the marker lights in it to make the splice. Are they two different harnesses or is the tan/brown marker light in the same harness and all I have to do is splice side by side in the same one.?

Todd's modification is different. '95 Explorers have a different wiring diagram than '96-'01 models...in term of the fog light relay.

Just get into the harness by striping the covering back and cut the DB/LG wire. Splice that wire to a length of new wire and run it into the area behind the blinker lights after you have removed the cornor lights(blinkers).
That is where you splice into the brown? wire.
Hope this helps.

Boy I really appreciate all the help I'm gettin' here. I'll reward you all when I sing the praises of your efforts when I get this mod done.:) Unfortunately, through the week, I'm pretty busy with work and the family - "not that there's anything wrong with that." Maybe next weekend I'll get the ol' wire snippers out...

thanks all and if you think of anything else I shoud know, don't hesitate to drop me a line or two.

The air box is difficult to get out. You have to pull really hard and it will finally snap out. It works bypushing a plastic piece into a rubber gromet. The gromet type thingy mushrooms out and locks it in place. And it is a b*tch to get out!!

You don't need to get to the relay. Just the wires. Pulling a tab off the relay will do nothing here, but break them. a relay is a switch. In this case there is a wire coming from the low beams and when it goes on it "switches" the relay on (nevermind the switch, it just allows you to turn them off and on with the low beams) you just need to take this "switch" wire and splice it to the parking lamps hot wire.

TAXXMAN2K,

Hats off to you! That's the best explanation of HOW it works that I've heard thus far. I'm sure some of the rest of you folks said it too, but this time it is finally sinkin' in.
Am I to just sever the fog wire and let it hang? (sealed of course) And then add the fog wire to the parking light wire thus energizing the relay (downstream in the box) whenever the parking lights are on. I FINALLY understand it. WOOHOO!

Sever is such a harsh word. You are only cutting the "switch" wire that comes from the low beams then the end that goes to the relay needs to be tapped into your fog lamp hot wire. The wire colors are in my writup in my sig link somewhere.:D

The FOG LAMP MOD is complete and works just fine! Thanks to all who provided me with help along the way. I did learn a trick though that I will post as its own entry so others may find it specifically.
The removal of the airbox can be a bit of a struggle. I used 3, but I suppose 6 would work to do both at the same time, 3/16" dowel rods. I pushed and/or twisted the rods down between the opening around the plastic post and inside the rubber bushing thingy. This takes up the slack in the bushing that allows the "mushroomed" end of the plastic post to catch on the rubber bushing. I then repeated this for the second post and out she came.
Anyway, DARK BLUE/GREEN STRIPE fog lamp wire at relay box, short piece of wire about 10" and, BROWN parking light wire, Two butt connectors and a few electrical related tools...THIS MOD COSTS NOTHING!

Back