Fog light relay questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog light relay questions

I am going to be putting a new pair of fog lights on my explorer in the stock holes and just splice into the stock fog light wiring. Will the stock relay handle 55watt fog lights, and if not can i just upgrade the relay to handle the added wattage? Also where is the relay on a 97 Explorer XLT?:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check in the Useful Links section. There is a ton of information in there all about the relays. You'll need to wire in a new relay to run the 55w aftermarket fogs.

Dead Link Removed

Throughout that is a bunch of information and should answer most of your questions. Check the links within it too...it will direct you to other people asking the same questions also.

Hope that helps.

which ones are you putting in?

darknite3603...I am thinking about doing the same thing...but haven't decided which lights to put in....what did you decide on? (I assume you have the rectangular fogs in the air dam?)
thanks....

anyone else feel free to chime in with opinions on a good light ( I am as interested in looks as function ie fake HIDS...I need visibility for winter mountain highways with heavy fog and blowing snow)

anyone else feel free to chime in with opinions on a good light ( I am as interested in looks as function ie fake HIDS...I need visibility for winter mountain highways with heavy fog and blowing snow)

I too have the rectangular fog lights on my 98X. I am sticking with the OEM's for awhile. If I were to change though, I would go with the PIAA 90 Pro's. They sell them at ExplorerExpress. Go to there web site and look at them. IMHO they are the best fog lights available for replacement. Just my humblest opinion.

Hotdogs

IMO the best fog lights that fit in that location are made by Catz. The MSX doesnt require any trimming while the larger & better MSR probably would require some.
The pro 90 is a 959 projector fog light and I have never found a projector that delivers enough light. The Pilot 704 projector is as good as the PIAA for a $100 less.

I am looking at getting some hella fog lights. I might just get some cheaper lower wattage Blazer fogs for the stock positions and probably Hella FF75's for in the bumper.

Can I just take the relay that comes with the new fog lights and use it in place of the stock relay without having to rewire everything?

You dont have to change the stock relay. Just use the stock fog light + (positive/hot) wire to power the new relay that comes w/the light set.
Attach the Ford fog wire to the relay post that goes to the switch. Now your new fogs will work off the Ford switch.

Duh I should have thought of that. Thanks. I was wondering has anyone used the Hella Optilux brand projector fog lights. How do they work?

Back