• Register Today It's free!

Fog Light Wiring

sfhess

Reaction score
City, State
Palmdale CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT RWD V6
My 2002 XLT did not come with factory fog lights. I am wondering if the fog light wiring is in the vehicle, ready to plug in a set of fog lamps. I have a fog-light headlight switch, the fog light housings and the lamps with bulbs and pigtails. Can I just install this stuff, hook up the lights and go?

Also what is the bolt size and thread pitch for the fasteners that hold the fog lamps to the backside of the front bumper?

Thanks for any help.

My Ex didn't have factory fogs so I put them in myself. I have an '02 but I did new wiring, switches, etc. so this pertains to your EX as well.

Have you checked out this sticky?: How to: Auxilary/offroad lites

Here's how I did mine:

I would highly recommend using a relay! I have my lights wired so that they can only come on with the parking lights and I have a switch also so I can shut them off when the parking lights are on. I picked up the relay and the switch at Radio Shack.

This is the diagram I used for wiring my lights. The relay is triggered by the parking lights, turning on my aux lights, and the switch allows me to turn off the lights:

AuxLampWiring.gif

I found a great path for running wires through the firewall on my '02 XLT:

This is the view from the engine compartment. The access is behind the brake booster. Look behind the brake booster and down and you will see it.

picture.php

This is the view from inside the Ex. Follow the brake pedal up to the firewall and look to the left. The red arrow points to the piece that you peel back and the black arrow points to the grommet:

picture.php

I tapped the parking lights at the driver's side parking light itself, not a big deal since you have to route wires in that area anyway. The picture is from my how to for installing signal mirrors, the link is in my signature. There is some good info there for routing the wires.

Peel back and remove a portion of the plastic wrap - The red arrow indicates the quick splice connector connected to the Green w/White Stripe wire for the signal mirror - The white arrow indicates the quick splice connector connected to the Brown wire for my fog light relay.

9fConnectWireUsingQSC.jpg

Here is the pic of the grounding points. The red arrow indicates the grounding point for the lights, the white arrow indicates the grounding point for the relay & the switch, the yellow arrow indicates where I mounted the relay, the blue arrow points to the wire run from terminal 30 on the relay to the positive terminal on the battery (including in-line fuse):

FogLightWiringSmall.jpg

My relay wiring is as follows:

Term #30 - wire run through in-line fuse to positive terminal on battery
Term #85 - wire run to ground point indicated by white arrow
Term #87 - wire run and connected to positive wires on fog lights
Term #86 - wire run to switch located inside vehicle

The switch shown in the link has 3 terminals (ground is required to illuminate the LED indicator light):

Line - wire run to parking light circuit at driver's parking light
Load - wire from term #86 on relay
Ground - wire run to point indicated by white arrow
If you use a switch without an indicator light then the ground wire is not required.

When wired as above, the aux lights can only come on when the parking lights & the switch are on. When the parking lights are on you can shut off the aux lights with the switch. I will be re-wiring the fogs so they automatically shut off when the high beams are on. I will be using this diagram as a guide. I apologize for the size of the diagram but I wanted you to be able to read it:

aux_fog_diagram3_zpsc76ae7f7.jpg

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Feel free to ask any questions. :thumbsup:

Back