Adding Fog Lights on Base Pre 2016 Model | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Fog Lights on Base Pre 2016 Model

The plastic panel that conceals the area where the driving lights are installed runs all the way up into the front wheel well. Am I correct in assuming that this entire piece will have to be removed to get the lights installed?

Also, does the stock Base bumper cover have the necessary holes to insert the screws when installing the mounting brackets for the lights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you use a hole saw, and then file it snug to the size of the lamp being installed (I used LED cluster lights as DRL's to augment the activated DRL), a windshield adhesive will securely hold the lamp unit in place with no brackets needed - the brackets are attached to the plastic anyway, so a press fit and adhesive is just as secure.

Adding driving lights

I know this has probably been discussed before but I did a search and couldnt find an answer.
I new here so bare with me. I just purchased a base 2014 Explorer. One of the things I want to do is add a set of driving/fog lights were the stock ones would go. Does Ford sell that as a kit, or do I have to buy all the parts individually? And is the truck already wired for it, with pigtails hanging behind the bumper? And I assume to get the factory look I would have to get a new headlight switch with the fog light button built in?

I merged your thread with this one on fog light installation. Hopefully it will be of some help.

Peter

Someone has to know an answer to my questions.

On the 2014 base model, is it pre wired for the fog lights? Are there pig tails behind the front bumper to plug into the factory lights that I want to buy? And can I just replace the headlight switch with the one that has the fog light switch built into it?

What would be ideal, is to install the fog lights, plug them into pigtails hanging behind the bumper, and replace the headlight switch with the one with fog light option, and that switch just plug into the existing harness, and one Im hoping is back there for the foglights..
Is the truck prewired?

This is how the fog lamps operate. The Headlight switch should send a CAN BUS signal to the BCM (body control module) to activate the Fog Lamps. Based on the signal to activate the Fog Lamps, the BCM trips the built in fog lamp relay (BCM) and feeds power to the Fog Lamps. Based on this there is probably reprogramming of the BCM as well to tell it, hey yes I have fog lamps. Probably not something Ford will document.

Also if the wiring isn't hanging there then it's not installed. You can check the BCM to see if the wire is there. You can PM with your email and try to help you out. If you got the switch already and want to swap it out you might be able to see if the BCM even recognizes the fog lamp function by CAREFULLY inserting a wire in the empty slot on the correct plug where the fog lamp wire comes from the BCM and see if it powers up. If it doesn't then the BCM would have to have it's data altered to enable the fog lamp funciton.

Also if the wiring isn't hanging there then it's not installed. You can check the BCM to see if the wire is there. You can PM with your email and try to help you out. If you got the switch already and want to swap it out you might be able to see if the BCM even recognizes the fog lamp function by CAREFULLY inserting a wire in the empty slot on the correct plug where the fog lamp wire comes from the BCM and see if it powers up. If it doesn't then the BCM would have to have it's data altered to enable the fog lamp funciton.

I do not have the switch yet. I was hoping the connections for the driving lights would be somewhere along the harness but I cant find any empty connections anywhere. In the schematics for the factory driving lights there is a pigtail that connects the light to the factory harness, but I cant find that connection. I find it strange that Ford would make a totally different harness just for the base model Explorer. I was hoping I could just replace the headlight switch and install the driving lights and plug them in. But guess that isnt going to happen.

Sounds like you have access to the OEM service manual. I see the plug you are talking about. Its not unusual to have different harnesses these days. If the plugs are not there the wire probably isn't at the BCM side. Since you have access to the manual have you checked the BCM plug to see if the wire is there?

Sounds like you have access to the OEM service manual. I see the plug you are talking about. Its not unusual to have different harnesses these days. If the plugs are not there the wire probably isn't at the BCM side. Since you have access to the manual have you checked the BCM plug to see if the wire is there?

I dont have the manual. I just saw the parts info online somewhere...

According to the manual its just a short pigtail basically running from the plug on the harness to each light. If they do equip it you would see a connector taped to the main harness in the vicinity of each fog light location.

According to the manual its just a short pigtail basically running from the plug on the harness to each light. If they do equip it you would see a connector taped to the main harness in the vicinity of each fog light location.

I dont see a plug anywhere so I think Im out of luck.

Foglights

FL-FEXP11-C.jpg

FL-FEXP11-C__5.jpg

I recently purchased OEM foglight kit from Spyder (for 2014 Ford Explorer base), comes with all the necessary wiring, along with the switch. I also purchased an HID kit w/relay to replace the stock fog bulbs. My issue is that I never did a firewall pass through, and I have no idea of how to go about doing that. I purchased a fuse tap because I want to run it off the ignition fuse which is inside the interior fusebox that's under the steering wheel column. Hell, I can't even locate the fusebox, but I know the area of which it's located in, guess I gotta do some digging around. Is there any alternatives to doing a firewall pass through? The space is pretty tight, and it's a bit intimidating to me since I'm a beginner. Any suggestions?

2013 Ford Explorer Base Model Fog Lights Install/Wiring Instructions

I am looking to install fog lights in my 2013 ford explorer base model. As you can see from the pictures my Explorer just has what seem to look like a cap. I am currently looking to purchase a kit from Ebay link below.

open

The issue I am having is where exactly I need to drill holes or if I need to cut something out to make this work. This kit comes with the wiring and I am also looking for the install instructions on how to wire them and install them.

Any information would be helpful. If this kit is not a good fit, please let me know where I can find something more or less the same. I need to start from scratch since my car doesn't

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2015-EXPLORER-CLEAR-DRIVING-LIGHTS-FOG-LAMPS-BULBS-BRACKETS-HARNESS-SWITCH-/221974905656?hash=item33aebc4338:g:MFYAAOSwFnFWDbpH&vxp=mtrhave fog lights and the dealer wants to charge me $800+ for fog lights and labor etc.

Thank you in advance

Purchased - Pre Owned 2014 Explorer Base

Hi everyone,
We are picking up the vehicle tomorrow. One other question that comes to mind is with regards to fog lights. I forgot to look, but are the covers in the front bumper cover removable, or do the light openings need to be cut open? Does the wiring exist, or are add on harnesses needed for the front left and right and back to the headlight switch assuming it has the correct headlight switch?

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I got the oem switch, it came with the button for the fogs, and and additional position for the headlights (A) for the automatic headlights I guess.

Now the question is: there is a square socket on the back... will I need to buy another harness or can I somehow wire the thing to the fog lights to make them work ?

Actually, I was thinking about installing some generic fog lamps, and make them work with the original switch, is that possible ?

Another question.... what will happen if I turn the headlights knob to the (A) position ? Im guessing there should be a sensor somewhere to make the auto lights work, right ?

Could you post a picture of the oem switch with fog you have or possibly send me in a message. Thank you

hello, i have a 14 base explorer. through a buddy i got the fog lights, brackets and everything on the diagram on ford parts / levittown ford parts . com. i still need a wire harness and just going to install my own switch inside the cabin( prob in the center console). my REAL QUESTION is the 4 screws that hold the housing to the backet and 1 nut and bolt hold bracket to the frame? seems like not enough. i have yet to take anything apart and start this project as im waiting for wiring.please LET ME KNOW if i need more screws/nuts/bolts - or if there is a picture/ video of install and you can post or point me in right direction. THANK YOU!!!

4 for each side seems right to hold the light to the bracket. There are additional screws that hold the bracket underneath the valance.
hello, i have a 14 base explorer. through a buddy i got the fog lights, brackets and everything on the diagram on ford parts / levittown ford parts . com. i still need a wire harness and just going to install my own switch inside the cabin( prob in the center console). my REAL QUESTION is the 4 screws that hold the housing to the backet and 1 nut and bolt hold bracket to the frame? seems like not enough. i have yet to take anything apart and start this project as im waiting for wiring.please LET ME KNOW if i need more screws/nuts/bolts - or if there is a picture/ video of install and you can post or point me in right direction. THANK YOU!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I was doing more research on this. I found out that you can enable fog lights in Forscan. I just want to know if there is a way to wire them to the Ford switch for this to work. It works on fiestas, and focuses

Back