Fog Lights With High Beams on w/ Factory Switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lights With High Beams on w/ Factory Switch?

Is there any possible wiring scheme in which I could use my fog lights on my 97 explorer with my high beams, since the fog lights go off when the high beams go on? Also, if you know of any wiring configuration, will it also work when just the parking lights are on? or no lights at all? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome. Thanks for the advice

Hey Blue Steel!
Did you figure out anything about the foglights? I have the opposite problem of you. Guess it's because I have a European version. My "foglights" only come on when I switch on the high beams. I would actually like to have them on together with my parking lights and lo beams..

I have figured out a way to have them on at any time you want, but it would be some work. What you would have to do is pretty much take off the whole front panel of the dash, exposing all the wires. You would then have to find out which wires go to the switch. Those wires are a 'relay' of a type and only turn the fog lights on when another thing is on(ie your high beams) because the switch is tied into the high beams. That means that the wires become 'hot' only when the high beam is on. You would then have to figure out what wire is hot at all times (or you could buy a fuse tap at radio shack and tap into the radio fuse that's hot when car is on) and then tap into that wire so the switch will turn on the fog lights because power is going to the switch. I think that's correct, but I'm not 100% sure. Either way I found out it was too much work and decided to go buy some PIAA 1552 driving lights (if you have rectangular fog lights) and then install those in the factory fog light position. Then I will install a switch inside and use the fuse tap for the radio fuse so the lights can only be powered on when the car is on. MUCH easier, although a bit more costly. However, much better fog lights (driving).

hmmm... yes, maybe thats the best way. the only problem is that I don't have a switch for the front foglights at all, only for the rear ones. Well, I might be able to find the "hot" wire and make it go through a switch of some kind, and then I could choose myself when to have them on or off...

Worth a try anyway, if I can find the time.. First I wanna lift the truck.

But thanks for your answer!

Rune

Originally posted by NedFlanders
hmmm... yes, maybe thats the best way. the only problem is that I don't have a switch for the front foglights at all, only for the rear ones.
Rune

Rear fog lightd? Tell us more, please....

you don't have them in the US? Here in Norway we have to have them. They're sittin on the rear bumper. Haven't got any pictures of my truck from the rear, but you can "almost" see it here:
vestm_rune01.jpg

If you consentrate you'll see it's some red color on the bumper...

That's some work if you don't have a switch for the front fog lights at all! If you really like driving with the fog lights on and don't really use them for real fog, I definately recommend the PIAA 1552 clear driving lights. Really good, and it makes it much brighter than the almost useless factory fog lights. hey, how come europeans got rear fog lights?!? you guys always get the better deals with cars... BMW limits their speed electronically on my mom's 740iL at 142 mph. In europe, there's no such thing as a speed limiter on them... oh well!

Originally posted by NedFlanders
you don't have them in the US? Here in Norway we have to have them. They're sittin on the rear bumper.

Plese explain why they are required?

The truck kills the fogs because the high beams drain more power than the regular beams. Maybe the truck can handle the highs and the fogs at the same time but its designed that way for a reason.

rearfogs

Don't know why the rear fogs are required. But they do help others to see you if the fog is really thick, since they have more light in them than the ordinary rear lights. They will also help your visibility if you're driving towards the sun when it's low on the sky. Don't know about the US, but at least up here in the north the sun can be quite strong as it's getting close to the horizon..
Mostly they're just annoying though, since a lot of people tend to turn them on as soon as it's just a little fog, and they will just be too bright! (and of course, they forget to turn them off afterwards too)
I think I've used them maybe two or three times during the 11 years I've had my driving license...

You're right, they are more a danger themselves when used inappropriately. It's difficult to see the brake lights come on due to the glare.

Originally posted by Blue Steel
Is there any possible wiring scheme in which I could use my fog lights on my 97 explorer with my high beams, since the fog lights go off when the high beams go on? Also, if you know of any wiring configuration, will it also work when just the parking lights are on? or no lights at all? Thanks

You should be able to jump the constant 12v wire on your foglight relay. Basically making the truck think the low beam headlights are on. I did this on my Contour. Here is a link to the instructions:
Dead Link Removed

This was really designed to allow for the fog lights to come on with the parking lights. A side effect of the fix was that they stayed on while running the high beams.

Hope this helps!

NaplesBill, that's an interesting idea. never thought of it that way. anyways, i managed to fix my problem by buying some piaa 1552 driving lights in place of my fog lights and used their wiring harness instead of the ford one that the fog lights ran to. at least now i can switch those buggers on no matter what is running :) man those things are brighter than my headlights!

Back