• Register Today It's free!

Foglight Bulb Options

Harley#356

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Please post up what foglight bulbs you guys are using. Whether HID, LED, or Halogen, and some pics.

I just bought the new Sylvania Silverstar zXe's for the H11 fogs (https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-zxe.aspx) The reviews are pretty good, and it's supposedly as close to HID look as you can get with halogen, but I just popped one in, and while it is a nice improvement over stock, it's not the look I'm going for. My HID headlights are still more blueish than the whiteish zXe's and I'm OCD, they gotta match closer.

If anybody's interested in the zXe's shoot me a PM, I'll part with them for a bargain! Still in the brand new packaging, only plugged 1 in for 2 minutes.

What I'd like to see is what other options guys are going with. I've already tried two sets of LED bulbs and one pair was too large to fit through the H11 opening, the other was the wrong polarity so only 1 worked. I was concerned about going with HIDs in the fogs due to glare with being a non-projector, and heat in the small housing.

Let me know! I can't stand stock bulbs! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What color are your HID's that these aren't close to?
I'll be getting 4300k HID's, which are on the less blue end... would it be close to those?

The Sylvania website says the zXe bulbs are a 4200k color. Here's a pic of the bulbs on a 300C from their site...

A032_C040_0829CP_001%20cf8d5e08-fdce-4fc8-a61a-47eb441d8b37.jpg

My TRS HIDs are advertised as 5000k but they definitely look more 6000k+. Pic below, you can see they have more blue than a 4300k, and even a bit blue for advertised as 5000k

HIDs-02.jpg

OK, I sent you a PM about your zXe's. We should be able to work out a deal, just let me know what you were thinking...

I have the HID headlamps and just got some d3S and H11 from hidconcept.com. I'LL install them later today and post pics. Got the 5000k and the Philips Diamond h11 for what seems to be decent price too. I've been trying not to have to install an HID kit hopefully this helps.

I have the HID headlamps and just got some d3S and H11 from hidconcept.com. I'LL install them later today and post pics. Got the 5000k and the Philips Diamond h11 for what seems to be decent price too. I've been trying not to have to install an HID kit hopefully this helps.

BTW I have a Limited not a Sport - ignore the hood lettering just my little touch

So I changed the fog bulbs from Factory to the Philips Diamond h11

IMG_0546_zps823b61a3.jpg

Then I changed the factory Hid's from 4300 to 5000k

IMG_0544_zps6774ae08.jpg

planning on trying out the cree h11 projectors for the fogs this weekend. I am happy with the Philips Diamond h11 but figure i'd try something else also.

All the bulbs I got from hidconcept.com

I just layed on the ground and was easily able to reach up there and pop the bulbs out.

planning on trying out the cree h11 projectors for the fogs this weekend. I am happy with the Philips Diamond h11 but figure i'd try something else also.

All the bulbs I got from hidconcept.com

Got a link to the H11 cree ones you're planning on trying? I want to make sure they're not the same ones I already bought that won't fit in the housing!

I just layed on the ground and was easily able to reach up there and pop the bulbs out.

Got a link to the H11 cree ones you're planning on trying? I want to make sure they're not the same ones I already bought that won't fit in the housing!

Can you pm me the link. i already bought mine and can return it without any cost to me so not too worried about it too much, just now you got me curious. When you say wont fit what do you mean? the bulb size as in lenght? the actual fitting? or something else.

Can you pm me the link. i already bought mine and can return it without any cost to me so not too worried about it too much, just now you got me curious. When you say wont fit what do you mean? the bulb size as in lenght? the actual fitting? or something else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161028262410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

These are the ones I bought. The housing around the large cree projector is too large to fit through the opening in the back of the foglight. It says it's only 0.85" diameter, but it only measured 0.80" and it didn't fit. One look and it's clearly wider than the H11 base so I dont know WTF they were thinking when they designed this bulb assembly lol. I could have dremeled out my foglight opening to slightly larger, but it wouldn't have given much of a flange left for the H11 bulb to seat on. And it would have filled the fog with debris to try and wash out, not get water spots, get it dried out, have to remove them from the explorer to do it. Wasn't worth my time for LED fogs that are more driving lights than fog lights since their output is minimal compared to halogen or HID. I returned them and had to eat the return shipping cost, and had to fight with the seller because he wanted to charge me a 20% restocking fee for bulbs that didn't even physically fit through a H11 housing!

Most H11 LED bulbs with cree projectors were silver, these ones were black, but I doubt they'll fit much different. If you do have luck, please link me to the exact ones you bought so I can order some. Getting discouraged at this point. I tried those LEDs with cree projectors (too big), I tried LED with all 5050 SMD LEDs (extremely dim and only 1 worked), I tried the sylvania silverstar zXe (too yellow), it's back to stock again till I find something decent lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161028262410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I tried LED with all 5050 SMD LEDs (extremely dim and only 1 worked), I tried the sylvania silverstar zXe (too yellow), it's back to stock again till I find something decent lol.

Harley, I'd suggest the Philips one that i got. They are really bright and definately looks good - see my pics. if you order from hidconcept tell them its for your explorer and Rod sent you he may hook you up with 15% off.

I like mine very much - just wanted to check out the crees

these are the ones i got - looks similar to yours

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28108176362...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648#ht_4019wt_1001

those ones are a bit different as they have the plasma on the sides rather than the 5050 SMD LEDs on the side, so the housing is different and maybe it'll fit through the housing. Definitely keep me posted on how you like them and if they fit.

those ones are a bit different as they have the plasma on the sides rather than the 5050 SMD LEDs on the side, so the housing is different and maybe it'll fit through the housing. Definitely keep me posted on how you like them and if they fit.

Update#1

Got the bulbs today, and compared them to the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k that i have on a physical level. Same housing (obviously), the Diamond V is slimmer than the Crees however not by a whole much, the weight is alot more on the Crees.

What i didnt like about the Crees was the packaging, definitely not very secure as i barely stopped one from falling out of the packaging.

In terms of fit they were a close fit but did fit anyway. You just have to be careful getting it in the bulb opening and a little extra forceful on the twist/screw.

On a visual during the day i can definitely see a color difference. Hopefully in the night there will be more proof on the projectability. I left one Diamond V in and installed a Cree 6000 for comparison. Will post pics this evening.

Thanks roaming, look forward to your post/comparison.

OK so I got to take a few pics tonight wish I had my better camera, if anyone needs better pics i'll retake some tomorrow night.

Bulb size comparison

IMG_0716_zpsc95e8574.jpg

IMG_0717_zps1e57835d.jpg

Back
IMG_0719_zps3c4c8fcf.jpg

For orientation - Cree is on the passenger side of the EX.

My initial impression is that the Cree may be pretty good, if you see in the pics the DiamondV splays light everywhere. The Cree focusses it front and of course hopefully as a result of the projector lens built into them. The next two pics illustrates this...

IMG_0730_zps929aec0f.jpg

IMG_0726_zpsae60a475.jpg

Notice the light being thrown from the Cree vs the Diamond V

Here is an example of the light production of the bulbs, notice the color difference also.
IMG_0725_zps6ac069c1.jpg

IMG_0729_zpsce15b24f.jpg

Now I prefer not having a lot of light smack in the front of the EX - IMO what good is it if its at my toes - Tomorrow night i'll go to the park and take some pro pics with the light projection as a focus. Too late tonight to do it, now that I am thinking of it. I did notice the Cree's did project more light up onto my neighbor's house vs the Diamond V's so we will see tomorrow.

Let me know what you guys think

Hi roaming phantom, was thinking of changing the fog light bulbs today but what I thought was as simple as reaching the bulbs from underneath was not that simple. Do i need to remove some plastic cover? Down part of the wheel well? Coz I cannot seem to find access to the bulbs without removing this shield first. Is there another way?

its simple, just look at a few replies above in this thread and you will see a video on how to do it.

thanks for the pics. can you take pics with the headlights off and just the fogs on so you can see really how much light is from the fogs only?

thanks for the pics. can you take pics with the headlights off and just the fogs on so you can see really how much light is from the fogs only?

the first and last after the bulb pics are without the heads on from different sides

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks roaming. The Phillips look like a cleaner colour but if distance is compromised???

Dilemma dilemma. From theses pics I can't say I'm a big fan of the Cree.

I appreciate your efforts, thanks mate!

Back