Foglight Bulb Options | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foglight Bulb Options

If you're looking for a great HID kit with quality parts use DDM Tuning. Their kits are inexpensive and the best i have ever used.

Thats simply my experience with several different HID kits though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

daytime pics of LED fogs

Finally remembered to take pics-- here are daytime (overcast) pics of my LED fogs. Headlights are 6000k HIDs. Not a 100% match in color, so these LEDs are probably closer to 5000k.

fogs.jpg

fogshids.jpg

I just purchased a set of Lumen LED Foglight bulbs from CARID.com. Options are either 150 or 420 lumens. I chose the 150's for now, they were 35$ for a set, and look great.

The 420's are twice as much, $70, and just as bright as HID's, which is what I'm trying to prevent. I don't have the need for a super bright fog light, but if I did, I'd use the 420 lumen LEDs anyday, over an HID setup. Easier install, longer life, and cheaper.

I just purchased a set of Lumen LED Foglight bulbs from CARID.com. Options are either 150 or 420 lumens. I chose the 150's for now, they were 35$ for a set, and look great.

The 420's are twice as much, $70, and just as bright as HID's, which is what I'm trying to prevent. I don't have the need for a super bright fog light, but if I did, I'd use the 420 lumen LEDs anyday, over an HID setup. Easier install, longer life, and cheaper.

Can you post photos? Particularly of their actual output on the pavement, not straight at the bulb.

OEM H11 foglight bulbs are ~1200 lumens. Good quality HIDs are 3000+. Even 420 lumens is pretty dim relatively. They probably appear bright if you look at the bulb but I doubt they have much usable output.

After researching led fogs endlessly, and even trying a set that cost $45, I ended up going with a Nokya H11LED Fog light kit.

They are not as bright as an HID kit, possible even a smidge dimmer than stock, BUT, they have several qualities that were very important to me:
  1. Two year warranty
  2. Nice white light
  3. LED lifespan
  4. Quality heatsink WITHOUT a fan (Whoever thought it was a good idea to have tiny fans exposed to the elements instead of proper heatsink design was crazy)
  5. And perhaps most important, they have the exact same beam pattern and cutoff as the stock bulbs.

Thought I would post them here, since I've not seen them mentioned on the forum.

May 2nd, Im having fog light retrofit projectors put in with 5k hids along with headlight led halo ring. So hopefully that would look good.

2014 fog light adjustment

They have the same pattern as they're the same reflector, one is just a higher output bulb. Like I said, they were misaligned. Once I got home I could see on the garage door (from ~6' back) that the cutoff of the left foglight was about 4" higher that the right. There's a small vertical adjustment wheel on each unit so I've now adjusted them so they match, at the same time adjusting them to be the correct height. I'll post another set of comparison pics when I can.

[science]
The point of fog lights is to throw light low and wide, beneath the fog/rain/snow to aid in illuminating the sides of the road and immediately in front of the vehicle. Low beams are designed to cast light down the road so you can see further when you're traveling at a higher (normal) speeds. In the case of the Explorer in particular, low beam often lacks illumination directly in front of the vehicle, partially because you're eyes should be focused further down the road anyway, and partly to avoid your eyes adjusting to expose the well lit foreground at the detriment of distance vision. Fog lights are there to help to fill in this 'light void' but are only of use in inclement weather conditions when you should be traveling slower anyway and would be focused on the road closer to your vehicle. In this situation having more light will NOT be detrimental to visibility.
[/science]

If the weather is bad I want as much light in front of me as possible to light where I'm going. I've driven in conditions where without foglights I would not have been able to see the side of the road or my lane markings above walking speed. I'm not looking to cast light higher or further down the road, nor in conditions such as those am I looking to be suddenly able to drive at 60mph, but I want my lights to penetrate deeper/wider and a higher output bulb will facilitate that.

Can you post a picture of where the small adjustment wheel is located. I asked the dealership, when I picked up our 2014 Sport, if they were adjustable as they did not project more than about 10-15 feet in front of the vehicle. They said they could not see any way to adjust them. Of course that was only the two sales people looking at another sport not the mechanics. Thanks.

Tom

Can you post a picture of where the small adjustment wheel is located. I asked the dealership, when I picked up our 2014 Sport, if they were adjustable as they did not project more than about 10-15 feet in front of the vehicle. They said they could not see any way to adjust them. Of course that was only the two sales people looking at another sport not the mechanics. Thanks.

Tom
That's the way they are supposed to work. They are fog, not driving lights.

Peter

I had factory fog lights on my 2003 Toyota Tundra Limited that were much brighter and more usable than the ones on my 2014 Explorer. I drive in fog quite often and the Tundra fogs were great. They had much better distance to help in the heavy tule fog down here, while still shining low to prevent glare back.

Whelen Par28 LED Fog Lights

has anybody installed these on there explorers. There made for emergency vehicles. but they come in a steady white. also can buy mounting kits that goes with them. just saw a state police vehicle using them as DRL in fogs. here is a bunch of websites to check them out. would like to get input on this if anybody has any.

http://www.sirennet.com/whpar28.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=Slsjp_J5cUZ7cgAatjNfZg&bvm=bv.67229260,d.cWc

http://www.vlsusa.com/product/whelen-3-5-round-super-led-fog-lights-par28/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeGHVkY8noc
although this one isnt white, good video on what they look light with lights off

LED Fogs - What wattage?

What wattage of LED fogs are you guys running. I know Cree projectors are preferred. Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren

TRS 5000k HIDs and PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow H11's. Almost a year running strong.
c60b6a686112c9deedda96eec1d30233.jpg

56d2f26a82298dcc0809021a93b0e712.jpg

0f22118f42310e70050fec05df6f2cea.jpg

has anybody installed these on there explorers. There made for emergency vehicles. but they come in a steady white. also can buy mounting kits that goes with them. just saw a state police vehicle using them as DRL in fogs. here is a bunch of websites to check them out. would like to get input on this if anybody has any.

http://www.sirennet.com/whpar28.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=Slsjp_J5cUZ7cgAatjNfZg&bvm=bv.67229260,d.cWc

http://www.vlsusa.com/product/whelen-3-5-round-super-led-fog-lights-par28/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeGHVkY8noc
although this one isnt white, good video on what they look light with lights off

if you only want the look, these could work ... but they aren't focused light for true use in fog/road edge lighting.

Looks great adamantium

TRS 5000k HIDs and PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow H11's. Almost a year running strong.
c60b6a686112c9deedda96eec1d30233.jpg

56d2f26a82298dcc0809021a93b0e712.jpg

0f22118f42310e70050fec05df6f2cea.jpg

Loving this look!
I have the 15' sport in ruby red. I'm contemplating getting some yellow fog lights.

Back