Folding down AND tumbling PIU rear seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Folding down AND tumbling PIU rear seats

atikovi

Reaction score
City, State
Mclean VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I haven't seen this mentioned before, but as most have figured out, the rear seat backs only fold down, but then won't tumble forward like on civilian models. They are fastened down but they do have the tumble feature built in. To tumble them, remove this bolt at the side,

IMG_6143.JPG

and these two nuts from the back,

IMG_6140.jpg

Now the seat will tumble forward.

IMG_6146a.jpg

It's spring loaded to stay in position, although I'm not sure how well it would while driving. This is on a 2015 and I assume it works the same way on the right seat too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it lock back down or just stay with the springs?

Right next to that first pic with the bolt I have a weld there.
Did the weld need to be ground down?
I am still working my way back. Haven't gotten there yet!

An interesting find, but makes me ask? I don't see how this gives a flat floor or more usable space...why would this be advantageous?
Also...in the event of a collision, would the rear seat still be well secured to the floor without the hardware Ford used? My assumption is that Ford bolted it in for a reason. Glad for everyone's thoughts..

An interesting find, but makes me ask? I don't see how this gives a flat floor or more usable space...why would this be advantageous?
Also...in the event of a collision, would the rear seat still be well secured to the floor without the hardware Ford used? My assumption is that Ford bolted it in for a reason. Glad for everyone's thoughts..
It's not bolted down on civilian models so who knows. It's not like you will be driving around like that for very long.

Right next to that first pic with the bolt I have a weld there.
Did the weld need to be ground down?
I am still working my way back. Haven't gotten there yet!
No, it's not welded to the floor.

Ford more than likely bolted it in just in case you have rowdy "passengers" in the back so that they don't break the seats.
Hmmmm! Might be good to keep it as is if you have kids then! I wonder if they still have the chain in the back for the handcuffs?

It's not bolted down on civilian models so who knows. It's not like you will be driving around like that for very long.

Thanks for the reply Bud!
The only reason will be to flip it one time for me would be for first time really good cleaning then I'll put it back with the bolts.

On 'civilian' models the seat is latched and locked to a floor anchor when in its regular position. Without that, it likely wouldn't stay in position in a crash, similar to having it unbolted.

Peter

P2200489.JPG P2200492.JPG

Thanks, this helps a lot. I bought cloth rear seats from a junk and have yet to look up how to remove the PIU seats.

Thanks, this helps a lot. I bought cloth rear seats from a junk and have yet to look up how to remove the PIU seats.
Isn't this a great forum to get the answers you need?
So many helpful people (like Peter) that give you outstanding advice!

Back