Followed the 5r55e rebuild diary but still have code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Followed the 5r55e rebuild diary but still have code

ff2024

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksburg, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok, put in the FORD kit with new seperator plate, Superior Kit (not all of it), Sonnax Boost Valve and a new EPC solenoid just like the 5r55e Rebuild Diary. I am still getting a P0733 code. I forgot to check the resistance of the other Solenoids but I'm guessing that I need to replace one of them (not sure which one??). It takes forever for 1st to get to 2nd, like almost 3500 rpm and the it shifts rough. That's when the O/D light starts to flash. Also I had disconnected my battery completely for about 6 hours to clear the code while I rebuilt the VB. Does that even clear the code? and if not how can I clear it?

Thanks...awesome rebuild diary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, anyone who goes this far gets MAX help. I hate to see anyone clear codes by disconnecting the battery, but understand why some folks have no option.

P0733 can be any of the first 3 shift solenoids or the TCC.... or a harness (or in fairness something internal, and worse). You need to go back in and check each of the shift solenoids for resistance and make sure you get a solid click when you apply 12V. Also the TCC for reistance, altho not click.

Shift Solenoids should be 22 to 48 ohms. TCC 9 to 16.

Let's start there.

Ok, I will check these later today and let you know what I find. I should have a post up of what I find tomorrow at about 11pm EST.

knowing it may have inductive signature is the LEAST of your worries.... esp when you have to disconnect the battery to eliminate codes. BB come on, continue being helpful.... not confusing !

Glacier, maybe your transmission tester might come in handy about now? I remember in another thread somebody else having a similar problem. 410 Fortune told him that his white plug in connector might not have been plugged in all of the way. That person checked it, and he was correct! That plug has all of the main wiring, so it would make sense that it would throw a code.

While you have the pan off, you may want to do/consider the following:
1) re-torque the VB bolts (I did mine to 95 lb-in)
2) did you install the Superior EPC riser?
3) adjust the bands (especially front since it is first applied in 2nd gear)
4) consider replacing solenoid o-rings (could have some fluid bleeding pass) (2 o-rings/solenoid, (W702951-S300 for the small and W702949-S300 for the Large))

The o-rings are a little pricy, may want to change at least SS3 o-rings since this solenoid is first turned on for 2nd gear.

good luck :)

The VB gaskets are also known to cause issues on these transmissions. You could get the separator plates with the bonded gaskets. The VB has a small filter that is a good idea to replace while everything is already out. This is not to be confused with the main filter which is much larger. That is supposed to be replaced too.

Superior EPC riser? I don't remember. Which one was that. I know the one thing I didn't install was Step #4 because I couldn't get anything out of the VB and I didn't want to screw it up. I put the new separator plates on with the bonded gaskets. I didn't replace any filters in the VB. I did however remove the small EPC screen since I did the Ford upgrade as well. I don't have a clue on how to adust the bands. Where is the White plug in connector located. I will drop the pan and test the solenoids tomorrow. I didn't have any time to get to it today. Would the fluid bleeding past the O-rings cause that code?

This is coming back to me.... I did a VB for a guy.. and the TCC clutch modulator valve inner bore plug did NOT want to come out. I cleaned it good and did my best and shipped his VB back to him. Same problem. I made good on it by sending him a NEW VB, and the P0733 went away.

My thought is that your problem may originate within that problem child bore. Were you able to get it apart and replace that part ? If you are not sure what I am talking about go back to the superior kit and look at the one they say can be a PITA to get out, this is the one.

I have ordered the tools to ream that bore and replace its parts with new ones.... not gonna have THAT happen to me again.

It is in the box of several to do, yes.... but no not not yet

ff2024 said:
I didn't replace any filters in the VB. I did remove the small EPC screen since I did the Ford upgrade as well. I don't have a clue on how to adjust the bands. Where is the White plug in connector located?
That screen is what I was referring to. There is also a spring in the underside of the housing between the VB, and the case. It is for the TCC. Here is my thread on band adjustment, which is also a sticky: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160 Glacier added the pictures to simplify the process. The white plug is outside of the transmission. It has a lot of wires going into it.

Glacier, that's the one I couldn't get out in the Superior kit. I tried for about 45 minutes but it wouldn't budge. I think I may have thrown that part away from the kit(by accident) when I was cleaning up. Where can I order a new VB with nothing in it?

I've notice it shifts a lot better but just not good from 1st to 2nd. That was the problem I had to begin with that brought in th P0733 code. I am hoping that it's just a solenoid. What are the chances?

I saw a VB on Ebay for $40 and they say that all the solenoids have been tested and VB is good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5R55...33727QQitemZ8054095537QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I was thinking of getting this and completely redoing it with all Sonnax parts. Would this be a smart thing to do? At least I would have a few solenoids to choose from cheap. Just wondering where I can get the Sonnax bore kits cheap....any idea?

The EPC riser is step 7 of the Superior kit. This is the electical tap you connect to the EPC solenoid wires. As for adjusting the bands, check out the following thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160

You will need a special socket http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...id=254&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all) and I would recommend a new locknut (PN XW4Z-71000-AA).

I could not get out the coast clutch valve out of the VB also. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and then shot some assembly oil into the bore.

I admit the solenoid o-rings are a long shot, (just some insurance that you covered that base).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill,

I did not install the EPC riser because I installed the Ford Upgrade. I was under the impression that these did about the same thing. I did however replace the EPC as a precaution. My book says that the P0733 code could be a bad SS1, SS2, SS3. When I get a chance I will try to adjust the bands. I'm just tired of messing with this thing.

Glacier,

Do you sell VB's for this? I was hoping to find someone who sells them with all the Sonnax upgrades. I know that one tool kit for the Sonnax upgrade for the Coast Clutch is about $500 and $120 for the parts. I could do it if it wasn't for my greedy EX.

Back