• Register Today It's free!

Following Up with Dyno Results

icepounder

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
The other threads we were posting in must be locked so I'm following up here. I did my first dyno runs with my Sport completely stock - no mod's. The second runs were with my custom 2in/2out exhaust and my modified stock air intake.

Stock :
Max HP = 152.84 Max Torque = 183.18

After exhaust/intake mod's :
Max HP = 173.35 Max Torque = 194.27

Friday I'll hit the dyno with Bama Chips (Doug's) 87 performance program and post the results.

Also I rewired the Brown Wire Mod so it was after the splice and it made no difference. The front wheels still turn slowly starting at approximately 3500 RPM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doug, I too have a 99 Explorer Sport. I'm very interested in your Dyno results. Can you post the tech specs on your truck - gear ratios etc? I'm really interested in your resluts with the chip installed. Thanks, Mike

Mike as far as "performance" mods I only have the exhaust and modded stock intake. Friday I will post the #'s after the program. I'd really like to install the 93 program .... if the gas prices come down. My gear ratio is 4.10.
All mod's I have done are listed in my signature. I hope this helps.

152.84 Hp at the rear wheels?? That's it??? On a 200 Hp engine, that makes almost a 25% loss through the drivetrain?!!? That doesn't seem right....

Definately post the results after the chip.... I gotta see that!

-Joe

icepounder said:
The other threads we were posting in must be locked so I'm following up here. I did my first dyno runs with my Sport completely stock - no mod's. The second runs were with my custom 2in/2out exhaust and my modified stock air intake.

Stock :
Max HP = 152.84 Max Torque = 183.18

After exhaust/intake mod's :

Friday I'll hit the dyno with Bama Chips (Doug's) 87 performance program and post the results.

Also I rewired the Brown Wire Mod so it was after the splice and it made no difference. The front wheels still turn slowly starting at approximately 3500 RPM.

Actually I did make a minor mistake with the stock #'s. I posted the #'s with the dual exhaust added ... which lost HP/Tq.
As for the 25% loss I believe that's due to the front tires still slightly engaging. I know you did the BW mod .... have you put yours on a dyno ? At about 3500 RPM they start rotating slowly. They turn slow enough to allow you to due the runs but are still engaging.

Here are the correct Stock #'s :
Max HP = 157.47 Max Torque = 188.73

I still picked up 15.88 HP and 5.54 ft/lbs of Torque.

I'm installing the 87 program this AM and dyno'ing tomorrow.

So the 15 hp gain was from the intake mods and exhaust only? Is the exhasut you say inlcude headers or cat back?

The only reason I can think of for the front wheels to be turning is because of the viscosity of the oil in the transfer case..... ordinarily, even in two wheel drive mode with the brown wire mod, the front and rear driveshafts are turning at the same or nearly the same speeds. When you strap it down to a dyno, the front driveshaft is stationary, severely increasing the speed differential between the front and rear driveshafts. Because of the way the clutch works to lock the front and rear shafts, the oil flowing through it could be applying enough shear force to the clutch to cause the front wheels to want to turn. It's not going to affect the engine output, but could affect what you see at the rear wheels when it's strapped to a dyno.

If I was doing the tests and having that problem, I'd seriously consider pulling the front driveshaft. With the speed differential at redline, I'd be worried about cooking the transfer case clutch and bearings internally. Pulling the driveshaft would allow the front driveshaft yoke to turn if necessary without robbing any power from the rear wheels.

FWIW, the gains at the rear wheels should be similar regardless of the base Hp number. (i.e. if you start at 150 and gain 15 versus starting at 180 and gaining 15) It'll be a slightly lower percentage gain if you start with a higher number, but that's only because the percentage is a function of the base. 15 Hp is 15 Hp. I'll take it! :)

-Joe

Yes the Hp/Tq gains were from intake/exhaust mod's only. On the intake I removed the "cone" (on the air box) behind the headlight. I opened the area (on the air box ,behind the headlight) by roughly 7 times and I installed a TrueFlow filter. It functions the same as a cold air intake without the cost.
For the exhaust I have a SS Flowmaster 2in/2out using 2 1/4" pipe exiting out the right rear of my Sport. I did not install headers.

The dyno is an AWD dyno so the front wheels can spin. I never thought of oil pressure causing the shaft to rotate. Maybe after a while I'll drop the front shaft and retest.

Wow, I just wondered how much you actually got from that, I thought Ive seen some people say they had almost no gains, but it will vary form car to car. I have a KKM and cat back exhasut on a 1st gen and was wondering what gains I got if any, I would be happy with ten, but no way to tell with out a dyno, but your results make me feel better atleast.

I can say from recent experience that it depends on the exhaust. My shop talked me into a true dual exhaust with Flowmasters when I wanted either a 2in/1out or 2in/2out. They guaranteed the dual would perform better. I lost HP and TQ with the dual system. After showing them the dyno charts they made things right at no charge.

wow, i wish the shops around here were honest, or at least admit mistakes. Glad I went with a single then.

So I'm confused.... which system do you have on there currently? The dual in dual out, or the dual in single out? If I'm reading correctly, you've got the dual in dual out, Y-pipe down to 2 1/4 single tailpipe?

-Joe

Doug, I look foward to seeing your data.

Good luck ..........

Hi Al ! I'll post the results tomorrow afternoon. I just installed the 87 program ... I wish everything went that smooth. It took all of 4 minutes and no problems.
I currently have a single SS Flowmaster 2in/2out muffler with two 2 1/4" pipes out the rear. I tried the Flowmaster "true" dual exhaust and it was a dog with my Sport. When I post the results tomorrow I'll try and post a pic of the rear of my x showing the pipes exiting with tips. I can't get under there due to back/leg problems.

I had my Sport dyno'd again with Bama Chips 87 program. Here are all the results :

Completely Stock

After Intake/Exhaust Mod's

(Gained 15.88 HP and 5.54 lbs Torque)

After 87 Octane Program

Max HP = 174.83 Max Torque = 201.13
(Gained 1.48 HP and 6.86 lbs Torque)

I should explain that Doug (Bama Chips) told me not to expect big numbers with the 87 program ..... I would see that with the 93 program. What I did find was performance.
Before installing the program I drove around for about an hour noticing shifts, hesitation and I "got on it" a bit. I did this to keep the before part fresh in my mind. After programming the first thing I noticed were the shifts and the powerband. The shifts before were a little slow and "mushy". Now they are crisp and quick .. the way they should be. Also the powerband is stronger. Before I would have to step on it as though going for passing gear to get going and now it is just there ... especially mid range. With the intake/exhaust mod's the throttle response felt better but after programming it is much better.
Putting into words my findings is hard because of my lack of terminology and it is based alot on my "seat of the pants" experience. That is the reason I had it dyno'd. Over all I am very pleased with the results from the intake, exhaust and Bama Chips 87 program. Now I can't wait to try the 93 program !!

Here's the pic of my exhaust exiting the rear : (I'm not a photographer)

16Explorer_006-med.JPG

icepounder said:
I had my Sport dyno'd again with Bama Chips 87 program. Here are all the results :

Completely Stock

After Intake/Exhaust Mod's

(Gained 15.88 HP and 5.54 lbs Torque)

After 87 Octane Program

Max HP = 174.83 Max Torque = 201.13
(Gained 1.48 HP and 6.86 lbs Torque)

I should explain that Doug (Bama Chips) told me not to expect big numbers with the 87 program ..... I would see that with the 93 program. What I did find was performance.
Before installing the program I drove around for about an hour noticing shifts, hesitation and I "got on it" a bit. I did this to keep the before part fresh in my mind. After programming the first thing I noticed were the shifts and the powerband. The shifts before were a little slow and "mushy". Now they are crisp and quick .. the way they should be. Also the powerband is stronger. Before I would have to step on it as though going for passing gear to get going and now it is just there ... especially mid range. With the intake/exhaust mod's the throttle response felt better but after programming it is much better.
Putting into words my findings is hard because of my lack of terminology and it is based alot on my "seat of the pants" experience. That is the reason I had it dyno'd. Over all I am very pleased with the results from the intake, exhaust and Bama Chips 87 program. Now I can't wait to try the 93 program !!

Hey guy,

Those are decent results from the 87 program, like I've said there's not alot you can do to it because it will ping but if you got 6rwtq then you got around 10 flywheel Tq and probably around 3-5 flywheel HP too. Did you compare the run to the stock one? Those numbers are overall HP and Torque and I'm sure if you compare it to a stock run it will be higher over the entire rpm range as well.

Now, get back on the dyno with the 93 perf and lets see how she does.

Thanks, Doug.

I've been driving around today local, highway and light off road. I'm so impressed after the programming I'm going to install the 93 program this coming week. I'll make an appointment with the dyno , usually takes about a week and a half, and post the results.
Doug was right about comparing the two charts. It appears to be higher over the entire range and much more stable (less erratic). :thumbsup:

cant wait to see your results! Thanks man, your making me a believer Bamachips program and making me want it more and more. What exactly did you order and how much was it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered the Xcalibrator and the computer cable. The total was $380 delivered (325+50+5). That included three programs written for my vehicle .... Doug asked me for vehicle specific information he needed to write the programs. The programs are 87 Performance, 93 Performance and a Torque Performance.
To tell you the truth I was very skeptical of chips/programs after being burned in the past. Years ago I ordered a Jet chip for my Ford Ranger and believe me it did almost nothing and cost about $200. They must have been generic back then because they requested almost no vehicle information. I am truly impressed with the 87 program and can't wait to install the 93.

Back