For anyone on the fence about a exhaust for their Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For anyone on the fence about a exhaust for their Sport

fangelillo01

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Sport
I had been very leary about doing an exhaust on my Sport because all the videos I watched sounded like the vehicle had a swarm of bees in it. I wanted to do the Magnaflow full kit but it was expensive and I heard mixed reviews on it. I took my car to a guy who does all custom kits. I told him about the magnaflow kit. He's a big believer in magnaflow. Long story short he wanted a week to do some research. Yesterday we started. He cut off the stock mufflers and welded in stainless Magnaflow mufflers, left the stock resonator and re-used the stock tips but extended them out to fit flush with the bumper. At that point we started the vehicle. All I can say is WOW. I never expected that vehicle to sound the way it does. It's super deep especially at low rev's and has very little drone at speed. I'm not going to post a video because I would never be able to express the sound of it on video as in person. If you want a comparison search for sound clips of E46 M-3's and 330 coupes. I had a 2002 330 couple with a B&B exhaust and it sounds exactly like that car. Everything looks stock and I would highly reccomend doing it. I'm not sure of the mufflers my guy used but I'm pretty sure the part numbers start with "15". Figured I let everyone know since there are so many question on doing exhaust work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have to hear one in person before i made the change..i would like too..but i have to hear and drive it first which i know probably won't happen :(

Agreed, I listened to a bunch of videos and none of them sounded like these do. I took a video and you can't really hear it like you can in person. I really like it

Is there any reason you did this other than to sound different than stock? I mean, did you gain any horsepower, torque or fuel economy?

If you didn't then it's a waste of money imo.

Is there any reason you did this other than to sound different than stock? I mean, did you gain any horsepower, torque or fuel economy?

Wanting a different sound. It met what I wanted perfectly. I couldn't tell if I gained anything. The day before came a revised tune from Unleashed which was a huge difference than the previous tune I was running. No change in fuel economy. I hover around 23 MPG still.

most people upgrade their exhaust only for sound...i did on my 95 Bronco

I went with livernois downpipes and the corsa catback exhaust they offer. It sounds great at startup and revving... but under heavy throttle it sounded like a rice rocket. I went back after the weekend and had them remove the corsa catback exhaust. If anyone is interested in buying a slightly used corsa catback exhaust let me know I have one sitting in my garage. Livernois hasn't responded to my email about returning it. Guess I'm out a bunch of money. I do love hearing the turbos spooling with the downpipes tho. I"m definitely keeping those on

There are a few ponies to be had by increasing the ID of the catback exhaust from 2.1250" to 2.5". I am not suggesting that there is another 30whp or anything crazy like that, but there is definitely more than just sound to be had. Realistically, the full turbo back solution is really where you will get the best gains as the entire exhaust system will be opened up.

I went with livernois downpipes and the corsa catback exhaust they offer. It sounds great at startup and revving... but under heavy throttle it sounded like a rice rocket. I went back after the weekend and had them remove the corsa catback exhaust. If anyone is interested in buying a slightly used corsa catback exhaust let me know I have one sitting in my garage. Livernois hasn't responded to my email about returning it. Guess I'm out a bunch of money. I do love hearing the turbos spooling with the downpipes tho. I"m definitely keeping those on

Not at all...we actually escalated your request B. I am just waiting on a response from the powers that be.

-Jaimie

Excellent thanks jaime

Wanting a different sound. It met what I wanted perfectly. I couldn't tell if I gained anything. The day before came a revised tune from Unleashed which was a huge difference than the previous tune I was running. No change in fuel economy. I hover around 23 MPG still.

You get 23 MPG in your sport?!?? Wow!

You get 23 MPG in your sport?!?? Wow!
Yeah it's weird because if I baby it I get less but if I drive it somewhat hard it get's better. 98% of the time I drive it like a grandma because I love it so much lol. I consitently get 21-23 MPG combined. Only run shell 93. In the winter I was getting around 18-19

. . . I'm pretty sure the part numbers start with "15". Figured I let everyone know since there are so many question on doing exhaust work.
Right now I'm in it for the sound also. My Explo sport sounds pretty lame next to the S5. Will probably do a tune after we settle in NY and I get through the first NY State vehicle inspection, but for now I'll settle for posing. Is there any way you could get the Magnaflow part number ? It would really be appreciated.

Rgds, Fred

Right now I'm in it for the sound also. My Explo sport sounds pretty lame next to the S5. Will probably do a tune after we settle in NY and I get through the first NY State vehicle inspection, but for now I'll settle for posing. Is there any way you could get the Magnaflow part number ? It would really be appreciated.

Rgds, Fred

Sure thing, I wasn't really paying attention to the box. I kinda left it in his hands. I do know that you will be looking for a muffler that's offset/center out. I'll call the guy and get back to you with in the next few days. A tune is a must at this point. I wouldn't drive this vehicle stock now that I have a tune. I went with Unleashed and absolutely love it. I would consider Livernois as well. Those are my top two.

I took a sound clip but I don't know how to upload it

Sure thing, I wasn't really paying attention to the box. I kinda left it in his hands. I do know that you will be looking for a muffler that's offset/center out. I'll call the guy and get back to you with in the next few days. A tune is a must at this point. I wouldn't drive this vehicle stock now that I have a tune. I went with Unleashed and absolutely love it. I would consider Livernois as well. Those are my top two.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Right now I think I'll go with the Livernois 93 tune. Seems pretty straightforward and should give the Sport the bump I'm looking for.

Rgds, Fred

I took a sound clip but I don't know how to upload it
Check out the threads in the 'sticky' section of the New Member Introduction sub forum.

Peter

Yeah it's weird because if I baby it I get less but if I drive it somewhat hard it get's better. 98% of the time I drive it like a grandma because I love it so much lol. I consitently get 21-23 MPG combined. Only run shell 93. In the winter I was getting around 18-19

I can't get that unless I drive 55.
Just cruising 70 on the highway = 17~18 MPG all the time using in car monitor which is generally pretty close based on my testing.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Right now I think I'll go with the Livernois 93 tune. Seems pretty straightforward and should give the Sport the bump I'm looking for.

Rgds, Fred
I like Unleashed and the SCT unit because you can datalog and he can remotely see if anything is going on or if he needs to fine tune it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

th_IMG_1637_zpstfejcfmd.jpg

Back