? for ppl w/ front tow hooks

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
sooo im looking at doing the front tow hooks, people who have them installed.

how hard was it?

drill holes?

any downfalls?

tips??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i used the f150 hooks:
DSC_2488.jpg

for mounting. use the existing oval hole, ignore the orange mark next to it, and drill a 1/2" hole at the orange mark at the front of the frame.
really mount the rear bolt through the oval and pull as far forward as you can. then drill the front hole where the hook lines up. pic just gives you an idea
DSC_2489-.jpg

go slow. i started with a bit that was smaller then your hood pins and worked my way up to 1/2". my bits arent the best, so i took breaks and constantly blew off the shavings and dipped them in oil.

the only after pic i have right now:
IMG_20111001_180834.jpg

i have pure titanium and diamond bits, i figured i would use that hole and just drill one out... i found these tow hooks for 14.00, ill have them sent to powder coating when i have the rest sent.

$(KGrHqUOKn!E5-))yB)JBOud7VFN+Q~~60_12.jpg

I did mine by having small plates made. Then bolted the hooks to the plates and the plates in the existing frame crumple zone holes, using grade 8 1/2" bolts. Really easy and the machine shop did all the the drilling and cutting.

I did mine by having small plates made. Then bolted the hooks to the plates and the plates in the existing frame crumple zone holes, using grade 8 1/2" bolts. Really easy and the machine shop did all the the drilling and cutting.

you have a pic?

I welded up my own brackets and welded them to the frame. I cut small openings in the lower plastic valance so they stick through.. Very clean looking. No way I wanted to just take the valance off. I used the ones SwaintaN shows.
I have pics but no way to post them.

Back