? for those that have done the 5.0 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

? for those that have done the 5.0 swap

just out of curiosity...

What is the weight difference between the 5.0 and the 4.0?

Did you feel it necessary to beef up the front suspension at all? If so, what'd you do?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been wondering the same thing. If i find me a 5.0 for cheap im buying it and replacing my high mileage 4.0

If your IFS then I think Ford's stiffest torsion bars were the "B Rated" ones.. may help, may not.. just my thought

Well...I guess another way to ask, do aftermarket springs meant for the explorer from Superlift, Duffy, or Skyjacker hold up ok under the added weight of the 5.0L? Or do they sag a fair amount over time?

Is it worth looking into coils from say....an F-150, and triyng to fab those up?

you're putting the 5.0 in you're '92? kiss you're ac/heater box goodbye. it's not an easy fit.

i don't think the weight difference would be bad if you were running aluminum heads/intake etc. (might weigh about the same as a stock 4.0) i'd be more inclined to get 2" lift springs, then adjust camber as necessary (After the new engine is in) or, just put the engine in and see how much it sags.

IMO if you think the suspension is you're biggest hurtle in this project, you've got some surprises coming.

I had 2" drop springs on my `92, which was originally a 5 speed....when I did the whole install; Dash, console, wiring, 4R70W, 5.0L Full exhaust....I had to install the factory springs back in it to get back up to a 1.5"-2" drop....With the 2" drop springs there was no suspension travel left.

Ryan

"IMO if you think the suspension is you're biggest hurtle in this project, you've got some surprises coming."

I'm aware the AC would have to come out....not a concern. I've never had AC working in it anyways since I bought it, never really cared to fix it either. I don't think I recall saying anything about the suspension being the biggest hurtle in a 5.0 swap...I was simply asking the question, because I haven't seen it expressly addressed in most 5.0 swap threads.

Spdrcer: Thanks for the input!

"IMO if you think the suspension is you're biggest hurtle in this project, you've got some surprises coming."

I'm aware the AC would have to come out....not a concern. I've never had AC working in it anyways since I bought it, never really cared to fix it either. I don't think I recall saying anything about the suspension being the biggest hurtle in a 5.0 swap...I was simply asking the question, because I haven't seen it expressly addressed in most 5.0 swap threads.

Spdrcer: Thanks for the input!

I'm not saying it's impossible, hell, engine swaps are cool, so i wish you luck. I just see way too many big projects like this get started, and the truck ends up getting scrapped because it became too complicated. as long as you're persistent, you'll do just fine.

you're putting the 5.0 in you're '92? kiss you're ac/heater box goodbye. it's not an easy fit.
i don't think the weight difference would be bad if you were running aluminum heads/intake etc. (might weigh about the same as a stock 4.0) i'd be more inclined to get 2" lift springs, then adjust camber as necessary (After the new engine is in) or, just put the engine in and see how much it sags.

IMO if you think the suspension is you're biggest hurtle in this project, you've got some surprises coming.

I put a 5.0 in my 92' Ranger and didn't have any issues with the ac/heater box? It was a snug fit, but it worked out:thumbsup:

I put a 5.0 in my 92' Ranger and didn't have any issues with the ac/heater box? It was a snug fit, but it worked out:thumbsup:

Lucky.. i dont get that, i've been ramming a 3.8L v6 (Mustang/f150/supercoupe essex block) in a '91.. and my understanding is that this v6 has the exact same external measurements (height, width, 90 degree V etc.. yes i know its not as long having 2 less cylinders) and there was no way to fit it in with the heater box... or maybe i cut out the box for no reason??? except the valve cover/head is occupying the space that the air box was in.

3.8L/4.2L = 5.0L with 2 less cylinders...

Just like the Chevy 4.3L is the same as the SBC with 2 less cylinders....

So the interferrence would be the same at the head to HVAC box....

FWIW...I had no wirewall/HVAC issues....But I also swapped the whole to firewall.

Ryan

3.8L/4.2L = 5.0L with 2 less cylinders...

Just like the Chevy 4.3L is the same as the SBC with 2 less cylinders....

So the interferrence would be the same at the head to HVAC box....

FWIW...I had no wirewall/HVAC issues....But I also swapped the whole to firewall.

Ryan

Actually no, it is its own engine. different pistons, different connecting rods, etc. here's a quote from wikipedia

The Canadian Essex's origins are somewhat controversial. A common, but erroneous, belief is that the Essex was based on the 5.0 L Windsor V8 engine, because they both have a 90° vee configuration, are OHV, and that a 5.0 L V8 less two cylinders would make a V6 displacing around 3.8 liters.

and the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Essex_V6_engine_(Canadian)

so ryan, you swapped the firewall from what, a '95+? how did everything match up.. you running the 95+ dash and stuff?

I'm not saying it's impossible, hell, engine swaps are cool, so i wish you luck. I just see way too many big projects like this get started, and the truck ends up getting scrapped because it became too complicated. as long as you're persistent, you'll do just fine.
x2 -- too many talkers, not enough accomplishments. How many diesel swap threads do we have now? Most of them die over time and nothing ever comes from all the talking.

i did the swap in a 94 x with 4x4. didn't have to replace the springs and no noticable sag. a/c box did need to be cut at the bottom right corner for the valve cover to clear. some fiberglass fixed that up.

Yeah I totally hear ya, there is plenty of big talk on this forum, like with any forum...gets all our hopes up haha. Dreaming is what makes life tolerable IMO. But hey, life happens, we all have the best of intentions that fall short sometimes.

In my case, I'm currently experiencing a rain delay. The guy I'm working on the engine build with has a smaller one-man shop, with the capacity for 1 to 2 engine builds at a time...especially when its racing season for him and his 'stang. So unfortunately for now, its a waiting game. But I got the funds set aside, and the intent, and I hate not following through on things I say I'm going to do...so it'll happen, just not nearly as quickly as I'd hope for is all. So in the meantime, I'm just gathering as much info as possible like....

my original question which was about potential suspension issues, which from a couple answers above hasn't been a real big concern for those who've done the swap.

I cut the firewall out of my `92, and grafted in the firewall from a `97. There are MANY pictures in my build thread.

The dash fit perfectly.

Ryan

you gotta link to that thread by chance? I'm tired of searching haha...thanks!

Spdrcer34 - Looks like all your pic links are broken...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are working from my computer, and my phone...I know sometimes imageshack (the host) takes a while to load, and causes some connections to time out.

Ryan

Back