ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments

slovic

Reaction score
City, State
paso robles, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
hmm
I would like to know, problem here? should AA offer something? Vic Ext 530

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Mazda 5 speed is a POS. A complete kit to install a BW World Class T-5 would be great. From what I understand you offer some of the pieces for the conversion, but not a complete setup. Even better would be the NV4500 for the serious rock crawlers around here. From what I understand the 1st gear ratio in the T-5 isn't very low.

I have heard that a C-4 will bolt up to a 4.0? Do you know what the C-4 would have to come out of to match the bellhousing pattern?

Thanks for your interest.

Rick

The A4LD is a huge piece. It's not a matter of if it's going to fail, but when. What I would like is an adapter to bolt the AOD up to the 4.0.

peace

Mike

A4LD, 4R55E, 5R55E, they're all pretty crappy. I would appreciate any adapter to make it possible to bolt another tranny w/ overdrive.

The 5R55E is not a very good tranny. If it wasn't for my Atlas II, I would not be able to do the crawling I want to do. It would be nice to see a heavy duty 5 speed auto trannny. You build it and I'll buy it.

Originally posted by Mike 92 XLT
What I would like is an adapter to bolt the AOD up to the 4.0.

peace

Mike
I'll second that.. Be real nice

Originally posted by Rick

I have heard that a C-4 will bolt up to a 4.0? Do you know what the C-4 would have to come out of to match the bellhousing pattern?

You can Rick but it takes the C5 bell,flex plate and the thin metal adapter from a C5 and then you still have no overdrive not a bad deal on a trail only rig but for the guys with daily's not a good option....

Vic guaranteed if you and AA came up with a Adapter kit to mate the AOD and or any other OD Tranny to the 4.0 it would be a seller.......Your reading from customer #1 here right now;)

If it gets made I will buy it for sure. C-4 or AOD would be great!

Originally posted by LOGJOCKY
If it gets made I will buy it for sure. C-4 or AOD would be great!
According to your signature you have a 302? If that be the case why do you need an adapter? A c4 bolts right up to a 302.....

Do a search+ a thought

Do a search for A4LD and see how well liked the A4LD trans is liked among the members- not much.

A decent adapter for a larger trans like the AODE may be something to look at.

On another thought has AA ever thought about making a 3 speed atlas-"The Titan", 1:1, 1:2.5, and 1:5. I have thought for a long time that this would be the end all transfer case - a ratio for everything. A single unit would be shorter than adding an underdrive box like the 203 reducer or another makers add on. Just a thought.

Slovic,

I talked to you guys at Sema and I must say that I LOVE the info you hand out. I'm still reading them. Great Job.

As for the tranny. The A4LD is good for nothing. You come out with a way to bolt on a better tranny, and I'm in.

Thanks,
Lee

I'm waiting for my A4LD to die. I'd like to hook up an AOD after that!

Thanks
Dale

When replacing the A4LD with the C4/C5 combo, how does it effect the bolting up of the BW 15-54 t-case. I know they have a wierd 5 bolt pattern as opposed to the standard 6 bolt circle that the AOD probably has. If it is a 6 bolt circle pattern on the AOD you could always run a different t-case with a Saturn overdrive in it to regain the lost overdrive.

I would like to see a specific details and parts to make something like this work.

Originally posted by Diff Whack Daddy
When replacing the A4LD with the C4/C5 combo, how does it effect the bolting up of the BW 15-54 t-case. I know they have a wierd 5 bolt pattern as opposed to the standard 6 bolt circle that the AOD probably has. If it is a 6 bolt circle pattern on the AOD you could always run a different t-case with a Saturn overdrive in it to regain the lost overdrive.

I would like to see a specific details and parts to make something like this work.

At the risk of sounding completely stupid.... What is a 15-54 t-case? Also what is a Saturn OD?

I'm on my 2nd tranny know and it's on it's way out. :fire: I wish I had another option. :banghead:

Sorry, I meant 1354 t-case which is the stock transfer case in Ex's and a Saturn Overdrive is an assembly that is used in older t-cases that have a PTO output that gives you another gear for trannies that don't have an overfdrive.

What type of 4 speed automatic trans comes with the 4.0? What about the 5.0? Also, I have the 5 speed automatic, what is it called?

wow, You guys are great! thank you all for your opinions. Many members suggested aod and t5. I would like to know if a trans like 700r4 and nv3550 as a tranny choice also?

O GAWD YES I forgot all about a 700R4 there would be the end all in my mind 4.0 w/700R4 behind it :bounce: ......Build it Vic and they will come....:rolleyes: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I be the first on the list to buy one:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: PLEASE!!!!!!

Back