Ford 8.8 axle... 28 or 31?

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
I need to get this straight once and for all.... Explorer rear diff is 31 or 28 spline?
What's the difference between Mustang and Explorer diffs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

31 spline i believe, but dont hold me to it

Yeah you're right Explorers have 31, and Rangers have 28, I am not sure about Mustangs.

Kevin

Now I need to know what is a major difference between a Mustang and Explorer 8.8 axle, if any?

mustangs used a 28 spline axle, unless someone upgraded them through aftermarket to 31 spline....

well, I've got a guy that wants to sell an axle and says that it's a 31 spline 8.8 out of a new Mustang.

WTF?

i dont know about the new ones.... but i do know that the ones that had 5.0s in them had 28 spline

Mustang 8.8s can have either 28 or 31 spline. I don't know if it's all new 4.6s come with 31 spline or just Cobras though. I do know all the 4.6s come with 3.27s now, Cobras come with 3.27 or 3.55. Older Mustangs had 28 spline except if they were upgraded aftermarket.

All Explorers are 31 spline except for a few 91s that had 28.

that's cool. Looks like Ford had been doing some mixing around. Explorer was not the only model that had the 8.8....
I'll just go with the newer 8.8 out of a 99 Explorer... too bad the guy wants $400.00 for it.... one thing though - it has 4.10 gears already. All I have to do is add a locker.

thanks guys,

I no

My 90 Ranger 4.0L has a28 spline for sure.

What kind of rear suspension do the Mustangs have? Coil or leaf" For some reason I was thinking there are different brackets on the Mustang 8.8". I don't know Mustangs very well.

The mustang 8.8 runs with coils and a 4-link supspension using upper and lower control arms. The bearings, gears, carriers and all are interchangeable with the explorer, but the outside of the axle is very different. It might work if you wanted to convert to coils, but I would stay away from it otherwise.

J

As a rule, Explorers have 31-spline and Rangers have 28-spline, but Ranger FX4s have 31 splines. :) I was pretty sure late model Mustangs had 31, especially solid axle Cobras.

--Sean

Back