Reaction score
City, State
Eagle Mountain, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
Callsign
Turbo
I got my gears today:)

A question I have about the 8.8 5.13 gear. Is it better to grind some of the teeth off some to get the pinion shaft to go in or are you better off using the notched pinion shaft? I have seen where others on different axles have taken a little of the teeth off of the ring gear to get a full shaft to fit but what I didn't expect is how THICK the ring gear is. So either 1: Grind some of the gear teeth usually doesn't even go into the gear pattern at all (ones I have seen done) or 2: Use a potentially weaker notched pinion shaft?
BTW: I am using factory carrier and a Powertraxx no-slip locker.

Attachments

• 100_2191.JPG
    100_2191.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 2,126
  • 100_2192.JPG
    100_2192.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 2,054

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grind the teeth for sure!! Man i wish i went 5.13!!what size tires you running?

Lol. Everyone says they wished they had gone with the 5.13's instead of the 4.88's or 4.56's.

Interco M-16's 37x13.50xR17

I know can't wait for them. A close to 300ft-lb V8 5.13's and 37's :) Fun times to come here very shortly.

100_2122.JPG

O good god!!AWESOME! !! v8 and 5.13s would be sick!! 4.88s prob would have done it but hell yea! Dont fear the gear!i got a little less hp for now ;)and v6,4.88s&36!!going to be sweet man.yea just grind the gear,much much better,mine didnt even go into the pattern

Yup it all starts in March. Here is another teaser pic.

Think it will be big? :)

100_2121.JPG

And my new baby in her very nice crib I made :) Lol (Wife came and grabbed her right away she is 3 weeks old today)

100_2168.JPG

I used the notched pin...

With a 5.13 on the 8.8 you will have to cut ALOT away to fit a standard cross pin in. Sad thing is most lunchbox style lockers say in the instructions do not use notched cross pin. First try spinning the ring gear around on the carrier to find a spot where it lines up perfect between 2 teeth. I would then go with lightly grinding a flat spot on the center pin along with some teeth grindage to get the pin in.

The front shouldn't be an issue since you can put the center pin in before you put the ring gear on

With a 5.13 on the 8.8 you will have to cut ALOT away to fit a standard cross pin in. Sad thing is most lunchbox style lockers say in the instructions do not use notched cross pin. First try spinning the ring gear around on the carrier to find a spot where it lines up perfect between 2 teeth. I would then go with lightly grinding a flat spot on the center pin along with some teeth grindage to get the pin in.

The front shouldn't be an issue since you can put the center pin in before you put the ring gear on

^^^there you go,he's knows what he is talking about,helped me alot;)

Ground the teeth on mine. I had ground teeth on my 4:88s for 10 years with no problem.

Grinding the teeth defiantly seams to be the best and strongest option. Especially with a locker and a V8. To much TQ for a notched cross pin.

I have ground ring gear teeth on 4.56, 4.88, and 5.13 8.8 gear sets to fit the cross pin. The 4.88 and 5.13 are pretty much the same amount you have to grind since the both use 8 tooth pinions. It isn't that big of deal cause you grinding towards the center of the ring gear and most of the load is hitting the outer part. So far I have ground down between 80-100 gear sets on 8.8 installs I have done not one has failed so you have nothing to worry about. The Merc since I used a Detroit locker I did not have to grind since there is a special notched pin that the axle comes with. Nice things about the Detroit cross pin is it does nothing but hold the shafts in place so there is no load on it.

I have 5:13's and we ground the teeth

Thanks! Thats what I am going to do. The 8.8 5.13 has 7 pinion teeth at least in this yukon set.
That is strange that they would do that. Just weakens the pinion having less teeth.
Precision Gear as you can clearly see uses the 41-8 (as well as every D44 I have done, have two sets in my garage right now) which comes up to 5.125. I hope you didn't get one of the China gear sets that Yukon reboxes. Take a pic of the side of the ring where the numbers are and send it to my cell. I can tell if it is one the China sets. :eek:
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/34429

That is strange that they would do that. Just weakens the pinion having less teeth.
Precision Gear as you can clearly see uses the 41-8 (as well as every D44 I have done, have two sets in my garage right now) which comes up to 5.125. I hope you didn't get one of the China gear sets that Yukon reboxes. Take a pic of the side of the ring where the numbers are and send it to my cell. I can tell if it is one the China sets. :eek:
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/34429

How can a 5.13&4.88 use the same pinion? You hit the nail on the head why so many are resistant to go to 5.13,the pinion is weak.

How can a 5.13&4.88 use the same pinion? You hit the nail on the head why so many are resistant to go to 5.13,the pinion is weak.

They are not the same pinion just same amount of teeth. 8-43 5.375, 8-41 5.125, 8-39 4.875, 9-41 4.555, 10-41 4.10, 11-41 3.727 as you can see there are a lot gear ratios that share tooth count on one of the gears they are just cut different to mesh properly. Yeah I have been running 4.88 in the Merc for over a year pinion is small but has been holding up fine. There is a reason most gear manufacturers will not go smaller then 8 tooth pinions that seems to be the smallest you can go and still be safe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are not the same pinion just same amount of teeth. 8-43 5.375, 8-41 5.125, 8-39 4.875, 9-41 4.555, 10-41 4.10, 11-41 3.727 as you can see there are a lot gear ratios that share tooth count on one of the gears they are just cut different to mesh properly. Yeah I have been running 4.88 in the Merc for over a year pinion is small but has been holding up fine. There is a reason most gear manufacturers will not go smaller then 8 tooth pinions that seems to be the smallest you can go and still be safe.

Gotca thought you was saying they used the same one.its the d35 where it gets scary and may be where he is talking it has 7

Back